Christmas Recipes: Out-of-This-World Holiday Dip
If you want a simple appetizer that will leave a great impression on your holiday guests, make this amazing spinach and artichoke dip recipe. It's so easy to whip up, the kids can help! The dip contains something for everyone: spinach, Parmesan cheese, water chestnuts and artichoke hearts -- all in a flavorful, creamy base. Not only is this recipe delicious; it also can easily be made into a low-fat version that's full of flavor just by changing a few ingredients. It's also great when you want to be a little more decadent. Try it on top of a baked potato, served with a juicy filet mignon and lemon-and olive-oil-drizzled asparagus, and you'll have a meal you'll never forget.
To give the dip a festive presentation, you can serve it in a bowl made out of a hollowed-out purple cabbage. You also can scoop out the center of a loaf of sourdough bread, put in the dip, cover it with cheese and brown it in the oven to create a welcoming appetizer your guests will want to devour.
Holiday Recipe Books
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise (Use reduced-fat sour cream and mayonnaise to make a low-fat version of the dip.)
1 10-oz. package of frozen chopped spinach
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 small can water chestnuts
1 small jar marinated artichoke hearts
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 cup dried onions (optional)
Fresh bacon bits (optional)
1. Defrost the spinach and squeeze as much of the water out of it as you can.
2. Combine the mayonnaise and sour cream in a large mixing bowl and mix until smooth.
3. Drain the water chestnuts and artichoke hearts and chop them into approximately one-quarter-inch pieces.
4. Add artichoke hearts, water chestnuts, spinach, garlic powder and salt to the mayonnaise/sour cream mixture and mix well.
5. Add dried onions and/or bacon bits if you desire, and stir to incorporate.
6. Serve with bread cubes, crackers and/or vegetables.
To make a cabbage bowl:
1. Peel off any wilted leaves from the outside of a purple cabbage.
2. Trim the bottom of the cabbage so it lies flat and doesn't wobble when placed on a table.
3. Cut off the top of the cabbage and hollow out the center until you have a shell about 1/4" to 1/2" thick.
Note: Don't attempt this unless you have an electric knife or very strong arms. Purple cabbage can be quite thick and difficult to cut.
Other WordPlay Holiday Hubs
- Free Santa Letters
- Free Christmas Images
- Free Vintage Christmas Images
- Holiday Gifts for Writers
- How to Make 3-D Holiday Cards
- Free Printable Christmas Invitations
- My Favorite Holiday Movies
- Make Your Own Free Hanukkah Cards
- Free Vintage Christmas Gift Tags
- Free Vintage Santa Graphics
- Free Floral Vintage Christmas Cards
- Free Vintage Christmas Angels Clip Art
- Free Vintage Christmas Angel Cards
- Free Vintage Happy New Year Cards
- Free Vintage New Years Clip Art
- Free Printable Holiday Gift Certificates
More by this Author
If you want to learn to make money writing, HubPages is a great place to start because it's easy to use and there are a variety of ways to make money with no money whatsoever.
These free printable cupcake toppers come in three designs and are the perfect way to make your party special with little effort.
These free beach party invites feature four designs for four separate occasions: a beach party, beach BBQ, Hawaiian luau or beach birthday party