How to Make Quick and Healthy Steak Tacos
Tacos are a great way to sneak healthy whole grains, vegetables, and lean meat into your families diet. Plus, tacos are extremely cheap and convenient. They can be as complicated or simple as you want (or as your ingredients in your kitchen). Tacos are extremely versatile, and work as a pretty decent refrigerator Velcro for any vegetables, meats or seasoning that you need to use.
Steak tacos aren't necessarily as healthy as chicken tacos or fajitas, but if you choose a lean cut of meat then they aren't that bad either.
I found the original recipe that I then modified here.
|Serving size: 3 tacos|
|Calories from Fat||171|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 19 g||29%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Carbohydrates 40 g||13%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 7 g||28%|
|Protein 60 g||120%|
|Cholesterol 136 mg||45%|
|Sodium 363 mg||15%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
How healthy are these tacos?
- Calories are on track for a standard adult meal
- Low in sugar
- High in phosphorus
- High in selenium
- High in vitamin B12
- High in vitamin C (91% of DV)
- provides 35% of daily needed Iron
- toppings can quickly make these tacos calorie, fat, and sodium heavy
Are tacos a new addition to your diet?See results without voting
Try a Different Taco Recipe as Well
- Whole grain flour or corn tortillas
- 1-2 lbs of a thin lean cut of beef
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1-2 bell peppers
- olive oil
- seasonings: salt, pepper, chili (I use Tony's Creole Seasoning)
- 2 jalapenos (optional)
For garnishing tacos: (Choose any number of these)
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
1. First prep all the ingredients. Slice the bell peppers and onions into strips, prepare (remove the seeds and membranes) and slice the jalapenos, and mince the garlic. Then slice your meat into strips. If your steak was very thick then make sure to flatten it with a meat tenderizer. You want thin strips to cook quickly.
2. Heat the pan on medium-high/high heat with some oil in the pan. Once hot add half of the garlic and as much meat as you can fit in a single layer in the pan without causing the pan to loose heat.
3. Cook the meat on high, searing quickly until cook through but not overcooked. Since the meat is thin it won't take long to cook. Work in batches, and season each batch accordingly. I just heavily dust the meat with Tony's seasoning. Once the meat is done, transfer it to drain on a plate with a paper towel while you cook the next batch. Add more oil as you need, but remember that this isn't frying, the oil is just to help it cook and keep it from burning to the bottom of the pan.
4. Once all the meat is finished and out of the pan, add the remaining garlic, bell peppers, onion and jalapenos to the same pan the meat cooked in. You may need to add a small amount (1 tablespoon) of oil. Lower the heat and let the vegetables cook until soft, while you warm your tortillas.
5. There are a few options for warming your tortillas: microwave, frying, and warming over direct flame. For flour tortillas I prefer to fry in a small amount of olive oil in a hot pan, and for corn tortillas I clean a burner on my stove and cook the tortilla over the direct flame until slightly charred around the edges. To microwave simply wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave in 10 second increments until warm. Obviously warming them in the microwave or on the burner are healthier methods than frying the tortillas, keep this in mind if your watching you calories or have someone in your house on a heart healthy diet.
6. Assemble the tacos. Put meat on the tortilla and top with whatever veggies that you have handy. Be careful when topping with sour cream, cheese or any other rich substance as that will quickly add sodium, fat, and calories.
Try New Recipes
Make sure to always try new recipes, it's impossible to know how good a dish is until you eat it, and even more impossible to know how easy it is to make unless you make it yourself.
Having a few good healthy cookbooks on hand is always beneficial, even if you don't cook everyday.
More by this Author
South Korea is made up of 9 distinct provinces, and among these districts the food varies and grows using natural ingredients and history and a catalyst.
This easy beef barbecue sandwich recipe is a favorite at my house. It's slow cooked, which gives plenty of time to clean the kitchen before dinner.
I dropped 30 pounds in three months to qualify for the Air Force, just to have about 10 of it come right back a week later. Here's how to lose the weight and keep it off.