What is Shchi? How to Make Russian Shchi-Cabbage and Potato Soup
Polish, Ukrainian, and Russian cultures all have a similar soup that goes by many names. It tends to have a similar base that varies with the local food. They have a base of cabbage, potatoes and onions. But vary with using sauerkraut, normal cabbage, a tomato base or a cream one.
This is a standard sauerkraut based soup, but the beauty of it, is that it's a soup made out of resourcefulness, so it takes on most extra vegetables that you may have in your refrigerator.
The original recipe can be found here, however, mine has been changed to fit what I normally have on hand as well as to my families taste.
This soup is traditionally served with rye bread, and at roughly 150 calories per bowl, it's a guilt free treat that could be used for Cabbage Soup Diet.
|Serving size: 1 bowl|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 23 g||8%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 830 mg||35%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-4 cloves garlic
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, cleaned and minced
- 1/2 lbs to 1 lbs red potatoes
- 1/2 green beans, clean and snapped in half
- 1/2 pound baby carrots cut into small pieces
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup sauerkraut with juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a medium-large soup pot until hot. Add the onion, minced garlic, minced celery and carrots. Cook until onions become transparent, roughly 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and green beans, and continue cooking until the green beans begin to soften.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer covered. Cooking the soup until the potatoes have began to soften, but are still firm. (try not to over boil the potatoes until they fall apart)
- Slowly add in the flour and Greek yogurt, so that it doesn't clump.
- Add the sauerkraut and dill, season with salt and pepper, and simmer long enough that the sauerkraut warms up.
Ideas for Making Your own Variation
One of the reasons that I love this soup so much is that it's the perfect refrigerator Velcro. If I have left over ham, kielbasa, squash, tomatoes or seasonings they almost always go just fine with the soup. Here are a few ideas of traditional ingredients that can be used, and some not so traditional ingredients.
- Diced Tomatoes
- Garlic Powder
- Regular Purple or Green Cabbage
- Green Onions
- Bay leaves
- Sour Cream
More by this Author
A thesis paper discussing the character of Mr. Martin in James Thuber's short story, "The Catbird Seat." The hub contains an outline as well as the paper.
South Korea is made up of 9 distinct provinces, and among these districts the food varies and grows using natural ingredients and history and a catalyst.
I dropped 30 pounds in three months to qualify for the Air Force, just to have about 10 of it come right back a week later. Here's how to lose the weight and keep it off.
No comments yet.