How to Make Salmon Corn Chowder | The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book
As fall settles in, and the days start to shorten up and the temps drop, especially in the early evening, few aromas match the wafting smells of fresh chowder on the stove. Here is a special chowder variation from “The Cupboard Drawer”. This one can be a great starter, or with a sandwich (grilled Cheese) or hot biscuits stand as the main course of a kitchen meal. Enjoy…..
2 slices Bacon
½ Cup Chopped Onion
1 clove Garlic (crushed)
2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
3 Cup Milk
1 Cup Red Potatoes Peeled and Diced (Peeling is Optional if they are clean skins)
1 can (7 ½ Oz) Salmon drained and flaked
1 can Whole Kernel Corn drained
¼ Cup red or green Bell Pepper, seeded and diced
½ Tsp Salt (Sea Salt is best)
¼ Tsp Black Pepper
- In a large Sauspan over medium high heat, fry the bacon till crisp: remove and let cool on a paper towel. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to low and add onion to the bacon fat and cook , stirring occasionally for 5 min, Stir in the garlic and cook for another 2 min or so.
- Add the flour and stir till blended.
- Increase heat to medium and stir in the milk slowly. Continue cooking and stirring occasionally another 5 mins or so until it starts to thicken.
- Add the potatoes and simmer covered, for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in Salmon and corn; heat through add the bell pepper and heat for another 2 minutes; season with the salt and pepper.
- Serve in a bowl crumbling the bacon over the top.
Yield 4 – 6 servings
Stew Variation: Double Salmon and add 1 can carrots or peas or mixed veggies, along with 6 – 8 pearl onions. After Step 5 – transfer to crock pot w heat set to low add the additional ingredients and let cook 4-8 hrs. Hold off on the peppers and seasoning till say 15 or 20 mins before serving.
More by this Author
An adult only version of Twas the Night before Christmas, retitled "Twas the Night Before X-mas" Great adult party poem keeping in the seasons lighter side...Twas the night before x-mas; And all through the...
Here are a few of the $100K jobs available.. Jobs are in US Government locations overseas., Potential 100K+ during periods of deployment,
Easy diet dinner basics that can be used for 36 different meals off just these ingredients. A great set of night time diet recipes for less than 500 calories per meal. Pretty simple weight loss idea, as for the food Do...