How to Make Spicy Broad Bean Paste the Maltese way. (Bigilla Recipe Malta)
Dried Broad Bean (Fava Bean) Paste is a Maltese recipe also referred to as Bigilla in the native language. The paste is served either with a piece of bread (like ftira) or water crackers (galletti). It is ideal as a healthy snack or to serve with drinks. In Malta this Bigilla can be purchased in stores or from street vendors. However for those who wish to try it at home, here is the authentic recipe passed down in my family through generations. I still have the handwritten recipe in my great grandmothers handwriting!
- 500 grams broad beans, (fava beans)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, (just the juice)
- 1 or 2 red peppers, (add to taste)
- 7 cloves dried garlic
- fresh pasley
- fresh mint
- a blender
- Place the dried broad beans in a large container and cover with water. Let them soak for a day making sure to change the water several times.
- Drain the water. Rinse the beans and place in a pot. Cover the beans with water. Bring the water to the boil and allow to boil for 90 minutes. Add more water to the pot as needed, always making sure all the beans are covered in water. (If using a pressure cooker, you need to cook for 30 minutes)
- After 90 minutes the beans should be soft. Drain the water and put the beans in the blender.
- Add the other ingredients and blend.
- Allow to cool before serving.
If you are interested in Maltese recipes you may want to have a look at this traditional Maltese Lenten cookie also known as Kwarezimal Recipe.
More by this Author
In an ideal world kids learn to enjoy the taste of different vegetables. However when kids go through a period of rejecting vegetables hiding becomes an important skill.
An easy step by step (with images) no cook Coffee Gateau recipe that can be prepared even by young children. Simply layer the ingredients together and allow to set in a fridge for at least 4 hours.
The bread maker can come in handy to get rid of those ripe bananas. Here is a delicious healthy banana bread recipe.