Quick And Easy Chinese Food Recipes: How to Make A Healthy Sweet And Sour Pork
Sweet and Sour Pork
Nothing says Chinese food like sweet and sour pork and here is a truly delicious version of it. I used this once at a very large dinner party and received rave reviews. I also paired it with my recipe for egg rolls and added pork fried rice and chicken fried rice. It was one of my most successful dinners.
You can always substitute chicken or beef for the pork if you do not like pork. I also substitute yellow peppers or onions for the green peppers - red would work nicely as well. This recipe was from one of my old cookbooks, the Betty Crocker International Cookbook some 30 years back.
Recipe for Sweet and Sour Pork
- 2 pounds pork boneless loin, trimmed of fat - cut into 3/4-inch pieces (substitute chicken or beef)
- Canola or other vegetable oil (can substitute olive oil)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 egg (substitute 1/4 cup egg substitute)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 can pineapple chunks (or substitute fresh) - 20 ounces - drain/reserve syrup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 carrots cut on diagonal into slices
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt (again to taste)
- 1 clove garlic minced (or equivalent)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 green pepper cut into 3/4-inch pieces (substitute onions, red or yellow peppers)
- Hot cooked rice
- Heat 1 inch of oil to 360 degrees in wok or large skillet.
- Stir flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/2 cup cold water, egg or substitute, salt with a whisk until smooth.
- Add pork to the batter until well coated.
- Add pork 1 piece at a time to oil. Fry about 20 pieces at a time until golden brown, turning 2 or 3 times for about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels and keep warm.
- Add enough water to reserved pineapple syrup to measure 1 cup.
- Heat syrup/water mixture, brown sugar, vinegar, carrots, soy sauce, salt and garlic to boiling in a large saucepan.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until carrots are crisp-tender - about 6 minutes.
- Mix 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water and stir into the sauce containing carrots.
- Add pork, pineapple, and green pepper.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly and then boil 1 minute.
- Serve with rice.
NOTE: After frying pork, it can be covered and refrigerated no longer than 24 hours. Heat in 400 degree oven uncovered until hot - about 7 minutes.
- Shrimp, Spinach and Tofu Soup
Some people shudder when they think of tofu but personally, I like it. I mostly love the healthy properties associated with it and as long as it is in something else such as a soup or a smoothie, it works...
- How To Make a Delicious Sweet and Sour Sauce
One of the most versatile sauces for cooking, dipping or grilling is sweet and sour sauce. Originating in the Hunan province of China, this sauce has typically been used mainly for Chinese cuisine down...
- Asian Corn and Chicken Soup
This is one of my favorite soups because I love Asian soups and I also happen to be a big fan of corn chowders. This soup is unlike any I've ever tried though and the addition of the egg in a steady stream at...
- Clear Japanese Soup
In my explorations of other cuisines, I have fallen in love with many of the Asian soups. They are so simple to prepare and so distinctive in their flavors that I have ended up buying many different Asian...
- Favorite Sweet and Sour Pork Recipe
I have been giving several favorite meat dishes for those family and friend get-togethers. This sweet and sour pork recipe will be a hit @ church homecomings and reunions as well. This is one of the church...
- Sweet and Sour Pork Recipe
Sweet and Sour Pork Ingredients: 8 oz pork1/2 tsp salt1 tsp soy sauceall purpose flouregg yolk1 tomato1 oniongreen pepperpineapple chunks1/2 cup
- Sweet And Sour Tilapia
Here's a quick and easy recipe for sweet and sour tilapia that is oh so delicious and this dishes presentation is wonderful at the table.If your looking for a recipe that tastes wonderful and is going to make...
- Asian Chicken And Asparagus Soup
Asian soups are some of the most flavorful soups I have discovered and are so satisfying. Most of the Asian soups I make are likewise some of the easiest soups ever in terms of time to make and simple in...
More by this Author
Asian soups are light and flavorful and can be made with few ingredients. Try this soup using shrimp, spinach and tofu but don't be afraid to change it up.
Making Chinese egg rolls is a snap if you know a few tricks and tips. Learn how to make the best Chinese egg rolls right at home.
In a tight economy, how much should you pay a pet sitter? It depends on many factors including what kind of pet, age of the pet, what the pet sitter has to do and even how far the pet sitter has to drive to take care...