How to Make Sweet Pickle Sticks: An Illustrated Guide
A Pickling Crock is a Good Investment
Ingredients for Sweet Pickle Sticks
- Cucumbers - any variety will work, but short, thick ones slice prettiest for this recipe (lengthwise)
- Boling water to cover
- 3 3/4 cups white vinegar
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons pickling salt (found in the pickle-making section of your local supermarket)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 4 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard seed
This amount of solution is enough for about three quarts, or six pints of pickles. For the number of quarts shown in this hub, the solution was doubled or somewhat more.
The Necessary Canning Equipment for Sweet Pickle Sticks
You wil need:
- A boiling waterbath or steam canner
- Canning jars (quarts), with appropriate lids
- Jar lifter
- Tongs, or magnetic lid lifter
- Large pot, for boiling pickling solution
- Large crock or bowl, for soaking cucumbers
- Large collander, for draining cucumbers
Step One - Wash and Cut the Cucumbers, Soak in Boiling Water
Step Two - Prepare Your Jars and Canning Equipment
Step Three - Drain Cucumbers, Pack Them into Jars
Step Four - Process Pickles in a Boiling Waterbath Canner, Cool Jars and Store Them
Still Have Lots of Cucumbers? Try Cucumber Kimchi
Canning Equipment, Food Preservation Supplies
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE13
If you like eggplant a lot, and grow (or buy) more than you need, here's an easy way to preserve it for myriad uses.
If you have access to wild plums (any variety), you'll want to put some up for out-of-season uses.
- EDITOR'S CHOICE19
Text and photos teach you step-by-step how to preserve winter squashes or pumpkins by pressure canning.