How to Make Thai Chicken with Cashew Nuts. An Easy and Authentic Thai Recipe
My mom loves Thai chicken with cashew nuts, and when she comes for her winter visits she probably eats it almost daily. It's just that good! And one great thing about this particular dish is that unlike many Thai dishes, chicken with cashew nuts can be very easily replicated in a Western home kitchen.
Here is a basic and pretty easy recipe for a dish you are sure to love.
Thai Chicken with Cashew Nuts
- ½ lb of chicken breast cut into ½ inch by 1 inch strips
- ½ cup of cashew nuts
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 clove of garlic, smashed flat with the side of your knife
- ½ cup of sweet red or yellow peppers, cut into ½ inch square chunks (don't worry too much about the shaping, just do what you can)
- ¾ of a cup of onion cut into ½ inch square chunks as well. (Cut the onion in half, peel off the skin and lay the cut side down on the counter. Cut down through the onion making the squares.)
- 2 Tbls of tomato paste (ketchup can also work here, and many Thais prefer it too!)
- 3 large dried Thai chili's, cut into ½ inch segments (New Mexican can be used as a substitute, Anchos would work as well)
- 2 Tbls of soya sauce
- 1 Tbls of oyster sauce
- 2 tsps of sugar
- A pinch of MSG (If desired)
East Steps and Tips
- Heat the ½ cup of oil over medium high in a heavy skillet. When hot, add in the chicken slices and fry until golden and cooked – 2 or 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm
- Turn the heat down to medium low, and let the oil cool slightly. Add in the cashew nuts and fry until they are nicely browned and remove. Watch closely and remove from the heat just before they have reached the desired color (they will continue to darken slightly even after removed from the heat).
- Fry the chili slices for about 10 seconds in the same oil and then remove.
- Remove all but about 2 Tbls of oil from your skillet or wok. Heat the pan up to medium high again, and when hot, add in your smashed garlic clove and stir fry for about 30 seconds, or until golden and fragrant.
- Toss in the onion and sweet pepper slices and stir fry until they are softened slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste, the sauces, the sugar and the MSG and mix it all together. Add the reserved chicken, cashew nuts and chili slices. Taste for seasoning and add more soya sauce or sugar if needed.
- If it seems a little dry, you can add in bit of water to thin it out.
Serve with jasmine rice or as a part of a larger Thai dinner.
More Thai Recipe Ideas!
- Crispy Thai style garlic fried fish
Thai style crispy fried garlic fish. Learn how easy it is to fry a whole fish with garlic for a Thai style dinner. Thai recipe and instructions, with tips and a video.
- Moo Gratium. Thai Fried Garlic Pork. An Easy Recipe
A very tasty and quick one dish Thai dinner – perfect for an easy meal for one or two, moo gratium can be prepared in about 10 minutes. Fried garlic pork (It tastes as good as it sounds!) ½ lb of lean...
- Easy Thai fried rice. Surprising and delicious, the ...
When I first came to Thailand, I always kind of snobbishly avoided fried rice…somehow thinking that it was only tourist food. Firstly…I know how lame that makes me sound, and secondly, was I...
Asian Grocery Ingredients
More by this Author
Thai Stir Fried Shrimp with Basil recipe. A 10 minute classic. So easy, so good!
An aurthentic spicy Thai chicken soup recipe with detailed instructions.
Before the invention of oil thermometers, cooks figured out simple ways to check oil temperature for safe deep frying. Now those secret tricks can be yours!