How to Make Whipped Topping with Dry Nonfat Milk Powder
Whipped topping adds sweetness and appeal to many desserts. It's light and fluffy, and can sometimes turn something ordinary into something divine. However, heavy cream adds cholesterol and many commercial whipped toppings are laden with trans fats and preservatives. Whipping cream is also expensive when bought from the carton, or pre-sweetened from an aerosol can.
Try this recipe for making a whipped topping from nonfat dry milk powder. You will have the best of both worlds: having something lowfat that tastes great, while being inexpensive to create.
- 3/4 c ice water
- 2/3 c nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 c sugar, or to taste
- 1 tsp vanilla, or other flavoring as desired
- Place the mixing bowl and the beaters in the freezer for 15 minutes to thoroughly chill. Chilling the beaters and bowl will help keep the mixture cold while beating and help the mixture to incorporate air.
- When you're ready to beat the ingredients, place the ice water and dry milk powder in the chilled bowl and beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add in the sugar and vanilla and continue whipping until firm peaks form.
- Use immediately on desserts, cakes and pies as a topping.
Always use ice cold water for this recipe or it won't successfully whip up. To get ice cold water, place ice cubes and water in a large glass measure, and stir it around until the water is very cold. Then when you're ready to mix, pour off the amount of ice water that is needed.
More by this Author
A matignon is a little-referred to term for an important part of cooking. It is a combination of vegetables and other flavorful ingredients (bacon and ham are two popular additions), and can be used as an ingredient or...
Biscuits are supposed to be light, fluffy, moist and at times either rich, savory or sweet. If biscuits are tough and heavy, then a few things could be the problem. Here are some reasons why biscuits may be tough or...
The Euro-Pro brand of sewing machines offer budget pricing to a wide range of sewing machine capabilities. Simple and portable machines, like the Dressmaker series, offer the convenience of stitching straight stitches...
No comments yet.