How to Make Your Own Dye
How to Make Your Own Dye
Below is a couple of ways to make your own natural, additive-free fabric and craft dye, using fresh fruits and vegetables. Because my skin is so sensitive to harsh chemicals, I always prefer to use products that I know have all-natural ingredients in them.
When you make your own natural dye, not only are you saving money, by using items you already have in your kitchen. You're also saving a peace of mind as well because you know what is inside your product.
Onion Dye Ingredients
1. 1 Old pan, you don't mind turning yellow.
2. The skin of 2 large onions, red onions for a plum purple dye, or sweet, yellow onions to make yellow dye.
3. 2 Cups of water
( This recipe will dye your pan and whatever else you spill it on, use with caution.)
Onion Dye Instructions
1. First you need to peel the skin off your onions.
2. Put your water into your pan, and then add your onion skins.
3. Bring your onion skins to a boil, then reduce them to a slow simmer, for about thirty minutes to an hour.
4. Let your mixture cool for at least an hour, to avoid burning yourself, then strain the onion peels from your dye.
5. Now you're ready to dye something.
( Do not try this on your skin or hair, this is for dyeing clothes, eggs, and other crafts. )
The color you get with this method depends on the color of onion skin you use, I got a pretty yellowish-orange color.
Beet and Berry Dye Ingredients
1. 1 Can of sliced beets
3. 1 Cup of mixed berries
4.1 Old pan you don't mind staining.
I used canned beets because they are already cooked, which is quicker. If you do use raw beets, just make sure to add enough water to cover your beets and berries. Raw beets probably end up making a brighter color.
Beet and Berry Instructions
1. Add your beets and berries to your pan and bring them to a boil.
2. Reduce to a simmer and cook thirty minutes to an hour.
3. Now cool and strain your dye, your finished product should be a lovely violet color.
The brightness of your color depends on how much you use of the ingredients, so if you want a darker color then add more, do the opposite if you want a lighter color.
This dye is not for anything but crafts purpose only.
More by this Author
The health benefits of berries are incredible, so not only are they delicious but healthy as well. I also included a recipe for a no-bake berry pie.
I love this recipe my mother used to make these for me all the time growing up. She always cooks with so much love and passion. Here is a recipe for my mom's southern, fried, okra.
You don't have to spend a fortune on a beauty product for it to work. Some of the best natural, cruelty-free products can be made at home with items you would find in your fridge or cabinet.