How to Make a Chicken Salad Sandwich or Wrap
Chicken is a versatile meat, and liked by most people all around the world. There are numerous ways to prepare chicken, and the best thing about it is that is a healthy choice.
Chicken salad sandwiches for lunch or dinner are a favorite at my house and a great way to use leftover roast chicken.
Use the chicken salad in a pita, on a bun, on rye, whole wheat or white bread. Wrap it up in a flour, whole wheat, jalapeno, corn, or spinach tortilla. It is even good on crackers.
How about an even healthier choice by serving it in a salad. Tastes great mixed with romaine or iceberg lettuce.
- 2 or more cups of cooked chicken, chopped
- 2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/8 cup of mayonnaise if needed
- all seasoning salt
- garlic powder
- fresh ground pepper
- Romaine or your favorite lettuce, optional
- Tomato slices, optional
- sliced bread
- soft tortilla shells if making a wrap
- Start by taking the chicken off the bones and chop into bite sized pieces.
- Chop 2-3 stalks of celery. Put the chicken and celery into a medium sized bowl.
- Add garlic powder, all seasoning salt, and fresh ground pepper. Toss well and add 1/4 cup of mayonnaise. If you feel that this is too dry add another 1/8 of a cup. Mix well.
- You're now ready to make your sandwiches or wraps. Spread the chicken salad onto a slice of bread or in the middle of a tortilla shell. Add lettuce and tomato. Add your top slice of bread or roll the wrap.
- Use 1/2 the fat or fat free mayonnaise
- Make your own fat free mayonnaise
- Omit the seasoning salt and perhaps use a salt substitute
- Use Mrs. Dash salt free seasonings
The following ingredients can be used or added
Vegetables condiments and more
chopped green, red or yellow pepper
chopped or sliced onions
sliced black or green olives
relish or chopped pickles
Mrs. Dash spice
hard boiled egg
Leftover Chicken Recipe Suggestions
Ingredients all include chicken
chicken broth, vegetables, spices, noodles
Chicken Caesar Salad
Romaine lettuce, Caesar salad dressing, Parmesean cheese, croutons, fresh black pepper
tortillas, spices, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes
cheese, enchilada sauce, rice, onions
Hot Chicken Sandwiches
sliced bread, chicken gravy
chicken broth, spices, vegetables
Pasta Chicken Salad
pasta, vegetables,spices, mayonnaise or an olive oil based dressing
use in your favorite chili recipe for the main meat
Chicken Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
macaroni noodles, cheese, pepper, milk
Frugal Tips - Make Chicken Broth or Chicken Soup
Don't throw that carcass away as it can be used to make chicken soup or chicken broth. If you're too busy to make this right away the carcass can be either stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or put into a freezer bag and stored in the freezer for at least six months.
To make chicken broth put the carcass into a stock pot and cover with cold water. Heat to a boil. While the carcass is heating up add to the pot a bay leaf, chopped or pressed garlic cloves, peppercorns or fresh ground pepper and thyme. You can also add parsley, chopped onion and celery.
Once the stock is boiling turn down the heat and simmer for 2 hours. Strain and store either in the refrigerator for 5-6 days or freeze the broth.
When making chicken soup I don't add the onion, celery and garlic until I've strained the broth.
All of the above can be used for a turkey carcass too.
Do you enjoy chicken in general?See results without voting
More by this Author
Easy and fast recipe for Nachos. Guacamole recipe included. Make as an appetizer or have as a meal. Cheesy, spicy and delicious.
Easy to follow recipe that can be on the table in forty five minutes. Made with a honey garlic sauce making the chicken moist and flavorful.
Not using your silver or your silver flatware because it is tarnished and too hard to clean? With Tarn-X it can be shiny and looking brand new within minutes. See how easily I cleaned mine that is over 55 years old.