How to Make a Delicious Grilled Cheese Sandwich (with photos)
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Making a perfect grilled cheese sandwich is more difficult than it sounds. Once you're done preparing the sandwich, you want it steaming hot all the way through where the delicious cheddar cheese has been completely melted, and the bread is fried a golden brown. A grilled cheese sandwich prepared any other way is surely going to disappoint. Here's how to make the perfect grilled cheese.
Rate this Classic Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Ingredients
- 2 slices cheddar cheese, premium cheddar cheese
- 2 slices bread
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Ingredients
A great grilled cheese sandwich starts with high quality ingredients. While you may have had kraft slices of american cheese as a kid, I think that ends up making a subpar sandwich. My favorite ingredients
- Tillamook cheddar cheese - Tillamook produces extremely high quality cheeses. Their cheddar cheese is even available at costco in a large block or already sliced. Either way you get it, a high quality cheddar cheese is the most important ingredient.
- Real butter - Butter plays an important role in a great cheddar cheese sandwich. It adds to the richness and keeps it from burning while the sandwich fries. Avoid margin and other oils. This isn't a low calorie sandwich and cheeting a on few calories will leave you unimpressed.
- Real Mayonnaise - I grew up on Best Food's mayo, and it's all I really like. Like real butter, real mayo is the only way to go. My wife sometimes buys the light mayo. It works, but I still prefer the real deal.
- Bread - While i love a grilled cheese on a fresh sliced sourdough bread, you can use just about any bread. These days we seem to have mostly wheat bread in the house that tastes good, especially after it's been dressed up with butter, cheese and mayo.
Putting Mayonnaise on the bread
The first step is to put mayonnaise on each piece of bread. Take out your knife and spread it generously on both pieces of bread.
Add the cheese
The next step is to add cheese to the sandwich. I usually put two slices of pre-sliced cheese on a sandwich for an adult, and one slice for a kid.
Butter goes on the outside
Close the sandwich and generously butter the outside of both pieces of bread. This is a little tricky since you're buttering the outside. Once I butter both sides of the bread, I place the sandwich in my frying pan. I almost always get butter on my hands when performing this step.
American or Cheddar Cheese
Do you prefer American or Cheddar cheese on a grilled cheese sandwich?See results without voting
Grill the Cheese Sandwich Slowly
Since one of the keys to a great grilled cheese is browning the bread, but also getting the cheese to completely melt, you have to grill the sandwich slowly. Put your frying pan over a low heat and put your sandwich in the side of the pan. Then, cover the pan with a lid. This will keep the heat in while the sandwich grills. This is the most critical part. You want the cheese to melt without burning the bread.
This is what happens when grilling on too high of heat. Turn down the temperature!
Why do grilled cheese sandwiches burn
The most often mistake we see with grilled cheese sandwiches is burning the outside of the bread. This is caused by the smoking point of butter and using too much heat. To keep the sandwich from burning and to fully melt the cheese, the sandwich must be grilled on a low heat.
You'll get a much better result if it takes longer for the cheese to melt by cooking on a low heat than by grilling the cheese sandwich on high heat where the bread burns and the cheese doesn't melt.
So, grill the sandwich on a low heat with a covered pan to keep the heat even to help melt the cheese.
Melt the cheese
A grilled cheese sandwich isn't perfectly cooked until the cheese is completely melted.
How long does it take to gill a cheese sandwich
I've cooked a sandwich for up to ten minutes because I kept the heat low enough. It's fine if it takes longer to cook, just as long as you don't burn the bread. Once the butter has melted on the top of the bread facing up, that's when I flip the sandwich to cook the other side.
When you flip the sandwich over, it's going to cook the second side much faster since the pan is already hot. Be aware and use a spatula to check it a few times to make sure it's not burning. When I flip my sandwich for the first time, I try to turn the heat down a little more.
Keep flipping the sandwich every 90 seconds until the bread is brown on both sides and the cheese completely melted.
After both sides of the bread are grilled a nice golden brown, and the cheese is completely melted, place your delicious grilled cheese sandwich on a plat and enjoy.
Grilled Cheese Cook Time
More by this Author
Barbecuing filet mignon is a science. Here is how to grill perfectly cooked steak every time that tastes and looks fantastic.
Steps to make a tuna melt sandwich using the oven's broiler. This tasty tuna melt sandwich can be made delicious in minutes.
Suggestions from kids, parents, and friends on what to get an eight-year-old girl for her birthday.