How to Make a Kissel - Traditional Fruit Dessert Soup
Kisel (can be spelled as Kissel), is a thickened fruit puree served as a dessert. It's a specialty in Eastern European countries like Russia. Apple kissel is a popular flavor as is rhubarb, strawberry, and apricot. The dessert is typically served in fancy dishes, and perfect for a summer dinner party. Just about any fruit can be used for this dessert, in many forms, such as dried fruits or fresh fruits.
Here is a recipe to try for apple kissel. The procedure and ingredient list is pretty much the same for other recipes. Use the same amount of starch and water in each recipe as in the apple kissel.
- For Rhubarb Kissel, use 4 heaping cups of chopped rhubarb with 3 cups of water, then begin sweetening it with about 2/3 cups of sugar. Add in more sugar if needed.
- For Strawberry Kissel, use about 2 1/2 pints of hulled strawberries, with 2 cups of water. Begin to sweeten it with about 2/3 cups of sugar, and add in more if needed.
- 4 cups Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, cubed
- 3 cups water, cold
- 1/2 cup sugar, granulated (or more, to taste)
- 1 tablespoon water, cold
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- Place the apples and water in a heavy saucepan. Bring the apples to aboil, then reduce heat and cook slowly for about 12 to 15 minutes. Cook until the apples are tender.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve, and add in the sugar. Taste it, and if it needs more sugar add it in a teaspoon at a time.
- Add the strained mixture back to the saucepan, and bring back up to a soft simmer. Dissolve the starch in the 1 tablespoon water, and add this to the apple mixture. Bring to a boil again, and cook for another 2 to 4 minutes until the mixture is thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and let the mixture cool to room temperature. Pour into serving dishes and cool before serving.
More by this Author
Biscuits are supposed to be light, fluffy, moist and at times either rich, savory or sweet. If biscuits are tough and heavy, then a few things could be the problem. Here are some reasons why biscuits may be tough or...
A matignon is a little-referred to term for an important part of cooking. It is a combination of vegetables and other flavorful ingredients (bacon and ham are two popular additions), and can be used as an ingredient or...
The Euro-Pro brand of sewing machines offer budget pricing to a wide range of sewing machine capabilities. Simple and portable machines, like the Dressmaker series, offer the convenience of stitching straight stitches...
No comments yet.