How to Make a Strawberry Sauce - Strawberry Coulis Recipe
Strawberry coulis – it’s a fancy sounding name for strawberry sauce, and though the name may be fancy, the preparation techniques are simple. Since this sauce freezes perfectly well, make up a reasonable sized batch a couple of times a year and know you’ve always got dessert covered!
Among the many ways this sauce is used in my household include
- As a topping for ice cream
- On waffles, French toast or pancakes
- As a ready made easy topping for cheesecake
- Eaten with freshly baked scones
This sauce can be made with fresh or frozen strawberries. I typically enjoy fresh strawberries in strawberry season pretty plainly, and make coulis with any overabundance. Out of season, I find that frozen strawberries make an equally good coulis to fresh ones…so make it at any time of year.
Strawberry Coulis Recipe (Strawberry Sauce)
Recipe can be multiplied as needed.
- 5 and 1/2 cups of strawberries, fresh or frozen
- ¾ of a cup of plain white sugar (granulated)
- ¼ cup of water
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring the mix to a boil. Once it is boiling and the sugar has been dissolved into the liquid, turn off the heat and transfer the mixture to a blender.
- Blend until it is very smooth, and then pass the sauce through a mesh strainer to remove the seeds. (The straining step is not strictly necessary and it won’t make things taste any better, but I think the sauce is more enjoyable when it doesn’t leave you with strawberry seeds to pick out of your teeth!)
Serve on top of some good vanilla ice cream or as a topping for cheesecake and pop the rest into the freezer to be used as needed.
Store in the fridge for up to a week and in the freezer for months
Making Strawberry Coulis
Or Try Caramel Sauce
- How to Make an Easy Caramel Sauce
A very easy but delicious caramel sauce that's perfect over ice cream and that keeps for a month in the fridge!
More by this Author
A recipe for gluten-free banana-lemon loaf that my mother makes. This cake is delicious, and you should try it even if you aren't avoiding gluten.
Make this easy mixed berry dessert sauce when the berries are fresh and local in the summer and enjoy a great dessert sauce for ice cream all winter long!
A lot of people have trouble with meat. They like the idea of a great steak, and they have a general notion that the more expensive the steak, the better it is…but more than that…who knows?! I...