The Recipe: How to Make the Best Braised Beef Short Ribs
How to Make the Best Beef Short Ribs: The Recipe
Many people have asked how we at The Timbers Restaurant make our signature Braised Beef Short Ribs. So, I have asked our chef if he would be willing to share his coveted beef recipe and he gladly obliged.
You will not find this recipe under a quick or easy recipe search. It takes a little extra time, but you will be rewarded with the best, most sumptuous, melt-in-your mouth beef short ribs you have ever had. This is a recipe you will need to start about 10 hours in advance. Alternatively, you could braise them overnight, then heat and serve at dinner time. Always start with the best quality ingredients possible. Add a few not so run-of-the-mill components and a generous helping of patience and the result will be an exceptional dish.
"Hey, the French have been doing this (braising) for hundreds of years, I'm not inventing the wheel here, I'm just bringing it a little closer to home," says Chef. Now we invite you to bring it to your home.
Braised Beef Short Ribs Recipe
Start with Quality Ingredients
- Six 1 pound bone-in beef short ribs (single bone, not crosscut.) Great ingredients are paramount so get the best products that you can. Fortunately, short ribs are not a particularly expensive cut of meat.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Salt & pepper
- 4 large carrots, peeled and coarsly chopped
- 4 parsnips, peeled and coarsly chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and coarsly chopped
- 1 bunch of celery, washed, cored and roughly chopped
- 3 bulbs of fresh fennel, washed, cored and roughly chopped (no fronds)
- 1 whole garlic bulb, cloves peeled and smashed
- 6oz tomato paste
- 750ml bottle of port wine
- 1/2 gallon veal stock (If you absolutely cannot make or find veal stock, you can use beef stock instead)
- 1 black truffle, shaved thinly (added at the end)
How Do I Make Veal Stock?
- Veal Stock Recipe - How to Make at Home
Prepare restaurant quality veal stock in your kitchen.
What Are Truffles and Where Do I Get Them?
- What Are Truffles? (Not the Chocolate Kind)
No doubt you have seen truffles on menus or you have recipes which call for truffles or truffle oil...
1. Preheat oven to low or 175° F, season short ribs liberally with salt & pepper.
2. Heat vegetable oil a large roasting pan over high heat. Add seasoned short ribs in a single layer and sear on all sides until browned.
3. Remove short ribs and set aside. Add carrots, parsnips, onions, celery, fennel and garlic. Cook until caramelized, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add tomato paste and cook for one minute.
5. Add wine and cook until reduced by half.
6. Add veal stock and return short ribs to roasting pan. Cover loosely with parchment paper making sure none of the meat or liquid is exposed.
7. Cook in oven at 175° for 8-10 hours or overnight.
8. Remove short ribs from braising liquid and set aside. Strain the liquid into a saucepan using a fine strainer.
9. Reduce braising sauce until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, meanwhile skim the fat off the top until no fat remains.
10. Add shaved truffles and season with salt & pepper to taste.
11. Heat short ribs in the oven, uncovered, at 350° until hot (10-15 minutes) and serve over mashed potatoes and vegetables. Coat with braising sauce. Enjoy!
Makes 6 servings.
Remember: Cooking Should Be Fun!
Suggested Accompaniment: Simple Mashed Potato Recipe
6 medium potatoes We like Yukon Golds but really any potato will work.
1/2 C. or milk, heated
1/4 C. of butter
In a large saucepan, boil peeled and thickly sliced potatoes in salted water until they are very tender (about 25-30 minutes.) Drain the water, add warmed milk and butter. Mash with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes 6 servings.
More How Toers...
- HubMob Weekly Topic: Do it-yourselfers, How-Toers and Step-by-Steppers: Teach us something, Hubbers!
Listing of the answers to the question: HubMob Weekly Topic: Do it-yourselfers, How-Toers and Step-by-Steppers: Teach us something, Hubbers!
More by this Author
This is a super quick and easy recipe. The ingredients are rich and the result is a meal that everyone in my family enjoys.
There are a number of reasons why I love pumpkin bread, not the least of which is: it's easy. I appreciate an easy recipe when cooking with young people who want to participate as much as possible. Also, it is...
Every proper woman knows the rule: "No long hairstyles after 4o." Long hair is for women in the flower of their youth. It's beautiful, sexy, and feminine and we all know that women over 40 are none of those...