How to Prepare an Easy Nutmeg Spice Cake in One Hour
Freshly Ground Nutmeg
Spice Cake Recipe
It has a Slightly Crunchy Lower Crust and Nut Topping
This recipe has been in my family for well over 50 years. My mom either created it or adapted it from another recipe she had, and we all adore it. It's a wonderful spice cake that can be created in a jiffy, but is elegant enough to serve for important affairs. We served it at my dad's surprise 70th birthday party, my wedding, and more birthday parties than I can remember!
if you like spice, feel free grind up your own nutmeg with a tiny grater and the ball-shaped spice. If that's not available, no problem. The Shilling or other packaged spice containers available at the grocery store will work out to be just fine!
It's an easy recipe to teach children with. The one egg can be beaten with a fork, and the entire batter can be mixed with a wooden spoon or a tablespoon. Make sure they have clean hands when the pat the crumbs into the pan. They will feel like "Maistros" when they see how easy it is to make a truly scrumptious dessert cake which all will love!
This easy and delicious recipe has been a family favorite for more than fifty years. It is usually served next to a birthday sheet cake whenever there is a large birthday party or anniversary bash being held, because it is not overly sweet and is absolutely delicious with coffee. A great alternative to traditional chocolate cake, it has a slightly firm crust and cake combination that is truly eclectic. Both kids and adults seems to enjoy it and rarely do I serve it without being asked for the recipe, which I happily oblige. If you make it with love, you are sure to have a hit on your hands.
This cake also keeps well. Best to store in a tight plastic container like Tupperware in the refrigerator, it may keep up to a week's time (but it rarely does!).
A Comparison Showing Different Types of Brown Sugar
Homemade Nutmeg Spice Cake
Ingredients for the Coffee Cake
- 2 cups Soft brown sugar - not crystals, dark brown if possible (for a golden look)
- 2 cups All purpose, sifted flour, self rising is not required
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg, packaged or fresh
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted or mixed
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, walnuts, almonds or pecans
Directions that a child could follow:
- This cake is extremely quick and easy. It has the texture of coffee cake. Blend the first three ingredients with a pastry mixer or a fork until uniform and crumbly.
- Place half the mixture in a 9 inch square pan. Pat down firmly. Add to the remaining crumbs the remaining ingredients.
- Mixing first the egg, sour cream, baking soda and nutmeg, mix thoroughly with the brown sugar and shortening mixture. When the whole bowl is homogeneous, and no lumps can be found, smoothly spread the batter into the 9 inch square pan. (A round pan may also be substituted).
- Make sure that the batter is even, and sprinkle the nuts on top. Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes on the center rack. At 35 minutes, test for doneness by inserting a knife or toothpick in the center of the Nutmeg Cake. If it is clean, remove the cake immediately.
- Cool the cake in the baking pan by placing on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar for an elegant presentation. May be served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Nutmeg Cake - worth the calories
|Serving size: 3 inch square|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Saturated fat 12 g||60%|
|Unsaturated fat 103 g|
|Carbohydrates 26 g||9%|
|Sugar 46 g|
|Fiber 8 g||32%|
|Protein 12 g||24%|
|Cholesterol 96 mg||32%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More by this Author
Bake a batch of delicious, homemade chocolate chip cookies today. Not difficult, it can be fun with children as helpers. A serving of two cookies is 186 calories - so bon appetit!
Using an express pot or pressure cooker can save a lot of unnecessary time in the kitchen. Instead of "slaving over a hot stove", try the method of throwing everything into a steam pressurized cooker which will prepare...
Easter Bread, or Sirnica, is a delicious Springtime specialty. A sweet bread, it has citrus, egg and other flavorings and is traditionally served on Easter.