How to Prepare and Make a Malibu Bay Breeze - with Malibu Rum
This hub is going to teach you how to make a Malibu Bay Breeze. The key three ingredients being used here are going to be fresh pineapple juice, cranberry juice, and Malibu Coconut Rum. This is a great looking, and tasting drink that is truly perfect for any summer, or fun occasion. This is my mothers favorite drink, which she orders whenever we go to any restaurant, and is fairly simple to make.
The essential rum in this drink is Malibu coconut Rum. I have seen recently that Malibu makes many types of flavored rums now on top of Coconut, but their classic Malibu Coconut Rum is what is used in this drink.
The pineapple juice is also a key part to this drink. Being a bartender my fridge is full of different freshly squeezed juices, and cocktail makers, BUT I think that for this drink having freshly squeezed pineapple juice is ten times better than any store bought juice. As you can see from my photos the pineapple juice I use is freshly squeezed, and makes this drink a lot better than if I used Dole Pineapple juice. With that being said, the actual drink won't taste much different if you use store bought juice, I personally like taking the extra effort to make my own juice. Also if you are making this for just yourself the store bought is clearly easier, I just tend to squeeze pineapple juice weekly, therefore I used my hand squeezed juice instead of the store bought.
Also when you are picking up the cranberry juice, I tend to try to buy 100% juice, and not juice cocktail. I feel the juice is a lot better, although in this drink where only a splash is used either one will be fine.
- 1-2 ounces Malibu Coconut Rum
- 4 ounces Fresh Pineapple Juice
- Splash Cranberry Juice
- Okay, so this drink is fairly simple to make. First you need to choose your glass. I use a standard cocktail glass on this drink, and feel that not only will this keep the size of your drink under control, but also gives that more tropical/party looking drink that we strive for. This is more for show, then for drink, but I like making these in cocktail glasses.
- Now add the Ice. I usually fill about 3/4 of the glass with ice. This allows you to keep the drink cold, and to make sure there is a good amount of filler in the cup.
- Now add the Malibu. For my drink I added about 1.5 ounces of Malibu Rum, but as long as you use between 1 and two ounces you will have the perfect drink. If you use less than 1 ounce the drink will lack alcohol, and taste. But you can use more than 2 ounces if using a bigger cup, making a bigger drink, or looking for a stronger drink. In any case I would not suggest any more than about 3 ounces of Malibu Rum.
- Before adding the pineapple juice make sure you shake the juice. Pineapple juice tend to separate more than other juices, and you need to shake the juice otherwise you will not be getting a good drink. Not only that, buy you will ruin the rest of your pineapple juice by taking away most of the separated liquid. So make sure the pineapple juice is shaken well prior to the next step.
- Next add the Pineapple Juice. You should add about 4 ounces of pineapple juice, or fill it to where you can see on my drink. I did not measure the liquids on this drink, but did them solely by sight, and I would say that the pineapple juice, and the rum should equal about 4/5 of the glass.
- Now stir these two ingredients. Some people say shake them, but either way is fine. I stirred them because I already poured them into my glass I was going to drink out of, but normally I would have put them in a cocktail shaker and shaken them first. It does not matter which you do, and the drink typically will taste the same either way.
- Once the pineapple juice is poured in, and shaken with the Malibu, you can add your splash of cranberry juice. Now some recipes call for 2 ounces of cranberry juices, BUT that kills the drink. I usually do a splash, A- for flavor, and B- for color. If just adding 1 splash of juice, you should not stir the drink. Look in my last picture how the cranberry juice leaves a wave of color to the drink. In my opinion this is much more exotic, and much tropical twist to this drink that if you shake or stir the cranberry juice. IF you are not using a see through cup, or glass then you mine as well stir the cranberry juice in, but leaving it unstirred still give the flavor through the whole drink, but leaves that exotic coloring.
- So there you have it. You Malibu bay breeze that is ready to be enjoyed. So kick back and enjoy this delicious treat, and remember to drink responsibly and know your limits. And most importantly, Always have FUN!. Thanks for reading, and let me know what you think in the comments.
More by this Author
This Hub/Guide will teach you the basics on how to create and make a Baby Guinness shot you have at the bar, or restaurant.
Okay, so today's drink hub is on the FAMOUS Long Island Ice Tea.
In this guide I will talk to you guys about ways to create the best My Player possible.