How to Roast Chioggia Beets
- 1 bunch chioggia beets
- 2 cups chicken stock *
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp. peppercorns
- 1/2 cup butter
* Subsitute vegetable stock if desired
Step 1) Trim the beets... Cut all but 1 inch of the beet greens off the top of the beets and set aside. You can choose to discard the greens or wash and use them later in a quick saute.If the end of the beet is long and stringy, trim that too.
Step 2) Get your pan ready... In a 13" x 13" baking dish, mix together the chicken stock with the bay leaves, peppercorns and butter. If the butter isn't melted, simply cut into cubes and add to the chicken stock (it all ends up melted together in the oven anyways...).
Step 3) Cover and bake... Add the trimmed beets to the baking dish and cover tightly with foil. Make sure to tent the foil in the center to avoid contact with the beets. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour. Remove the beets to a colander.
Step 4) Remove the skins... I won't lie - this step sucks. Using your thumbs, remove the skins from the beets completely. If the beets are cooked just right, the skins should pop right off but this is hardly ever the case. You can also use a dry terry-cloth towel to help rub off stuck skin. It's important to remove the skins before the beets cool too much because it's almost impossible to remove the skins once the beets have cooled. Once the beets are peeled, transfer them into a container of cold water to rinse.
Step 5) Finishing the beets... Next, cut each beet in half or leave whole if desired and saute in a large saute pan with some butter. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Be sure to visit some of my other great recipe hubs!
- How To Make Perfect Demi-Glace - Come find out just how easy it is to make this flavorful classic french sauce!
- Making Perfect Pesto - With a few simple ingredients, you can have perfect pesto in about five minutes!
- Cream of Roasted Butternut Squash Soup - Follow this easy recipe for the best-tasting butternut squash soup ever!
- Chef Delaney's Perfect BBQ Spice Rub - Gauranteed to be the best BBQ spice rub you'll ever grill with! Goes great on anything and has just the right amount of kick.
- The Perfect Oatmeal Lace Cookie - This delicious recipe is easy to make and is perfect for serving with ice cream!
- Chicken Satay with Thai Peanut Sauce - One taste of these skewers and you'll be blown away! These flavorful skewers are perfect for entertaining and are full of flavor.
- Smoked Peach and Chipotle BBQ Sauce - Another Chef Delaney specialty! This sauce goes great on ribs, tri-tip, chicken, turkey... you name it!
More by this Author
Psychological egoism is the view that humans are always motivated by rational self interest, even in what seem to be acts of altruism. This can be defined by either ethical egoism (the view that the individual should...
Let's admit it. Work can be rather... boring? It sure can! We've all suffered the doldrums of cubicle hell, but I present to you here a sure-fire list of things you can do to "liven up" your place of...