How to Store Strawberries in the Freezer
Summer Time, Harvest Time
Summer in Germany is a time for me to enjoy harvesting strawberries from a farm in a country side. I don´t own the farm, but some farms nearby allow the public to harvest their strawberries for a cheaper price. Cheaper than when you buy them in the supermarket. Sometimes my relatives from The Netherlands accompanied me in harvesting, another time with my friend and her small children.
Harvesting strawberries is fun especially when you have small children with you. They don´t usually eat the fruits, they just enjoy collecting them.
How to Harvest Srawberries from a Farm
- Look at some farms in your place through your local newspapers who are selling strawberries for public to harvest.
- Whenever you go to a farm for harvesting strawberries, bring a basket, a bowl, a plastic bag, a tote or whatever you have for putting the harvested fruits.
- At the entrance, the owner of the farm will weight your basket or your plastic bag for later use. The weight of the basket will be deducted from the weight of the basket full of strawberries.
- The owner of the farm will show you where you can harvest the strawberries.
- You are allowed to eat strawberries for free while you are harvesting. (Well, that is common here in Germany). I suppose, you can eat as much as you want.
- When you are finished harvesting, you have to bring your harvested strawberries to the entrance where you have started. The owner will weight the harvested fruits with basket and will deduct the weight of the basket before it was filled with strawberries.
- Then you can pay the amount of the strawberries you have harvested.
Preparing the Strawberries for Freezing
- Select the good strawberries with full bright red color.
- Hull and Wash the strawberries in a strainer or a colander.
- Cut out the damaged parts of the fruits and throw them in the bin.
- Pat dry the strawberries with a piece of kitchen paper.
- Separate the strawberries with cuttings from the good ones. These can be blended for making a sauce, juice or a smoothie.
Freezing The Whole Strawberries Step by StepClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to Store Strawberries in the Freezer
1.Freezing the whole strawberries
- Lightly sugar the hulled, washed and pat dried strawberries. Put the strawberries on a baking sheet on top of a flat container or baking form. Line them without touching each other. Put them in the freezer until they are stone hard. When they are hard, put them in a tupperware or in a "ziploc" plastic bag. Freezing this way, it´s easy for you to get the right amount of strawberries you need. Get off the air from the freezing bag and label the bag with the name and date of the day it was made.Then store them in a freezer until you need some for your ice cream, fruit drinks, smoothies and for baking cakes or cupcakes.
- Put the clean strawberries in a bowl. Sugar them lightly and mix them carefully with your hands or with a tablespoon. Then put them in a resealable plastic bag or in a tupperware. Label them with a name and date of freezing and store them in a freezer for later use.
2. Freezing the pureed strawberries
- Blend the hulled and washed strawberries in a blender and blend. Pour the exact amount of pureed strawberries you want in a tupperware or in a Ziploc bag. Label them and store them in a freezer for later use in making smoothies, ice cream, cakes and cupcakes.
3. Freezing the juice of strawberries
- Put the hulled, washed and pat dried strawberries in a juicer. Pour the strawberry juice into small tupperwares or in an ice cube tray. Store them in the freezer for later use.
4. Freezing sliced strawberries with sugar syrup
- Put the hulled, washed and pat dried strawberries in a pan. Add sugar. (1 cup strawberries = 1/4 cup sugar) Stir carefully while the heat of the stove is low. The sugar will disolve and the juice of the strawberries will come out. Put the heat off when you think the sugar has fully dissolved and no more crystal sugar around the fruits. Pack the strawberries with syrup in a glass or tupperware container. Let it cool. Label the cover of the container with the name and date of the finished products. Store in the freezer.
5. Freezing a single strawberry
- This is the simple thing you can do. Just put a hulled, washed and pat dried single strawberry that fits in an ice cube tray, Then add water on it. Store in a freezer for later use as a decoration for your summer drinks or your dessert.
Note: Freezed strawberries can be used within 6 months after the preparation.
Thank you very much for reading this hub. I hope I have encouraged you to experience strawberry harvesting and to enjoy the fun of doing it with or without children.
How To Freeze Strawberries
How do you like to store your strawberries in the freezer?See results without voting
Ice Cube Tray Hub by Suzie HQ
- Cool Ways To Use An Ice Cube Tray
Ice cube trays are extremely versatile and useful for a whole host of things. Here I have selected over 30 cool ideas you may never have thought of as possible for an ordinary ice cube tray.
How You Can Harvest Strawberries
Strawberry Hub by Suzie HQ
- How to Make Strawberry Scented Beauty and Cosmetic Products
Strawberries pack a powerful punch when it comes to health and beauty benefits. Strawberry scented Beauty and Cosmetic products are easily made at home, very quick to make and are chemical free. Read on for recipes and useful information on strawberr
Other Hubs About Fruits
- How to Eat a Star Fruit
Carambola or a Star Fruit is another tropical fruit which grows in the Philippines and other Southeast Asian countries, as well as in some American countries and in the Pacific. How to eat a Star fruit would be a very short article if I did not inclu
- What is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is one of the oldest tree in the world. It is big, prickly outside and weight more or less 30 kilos. It´s one of the delicious fruits you can find in the South and Southeast Asia. You can cook it young as vegetable or ripe as fruit for your
- How to Remove the Flesh from an Avocado
Avocado is one of the super power fruits on earth. Although avocado is very fatty, the fat is healthy as it is monounsaturated. Avocado has a lot of health benefits that one should eat it for the sake of having a good health.
© 2013 Thelma Alberts
More by this Author
This article is about the traditional breakfast recipes of bread in Germany. Germany has around 200 kinds of bread. From Graubrot, a sourdough bread, to rye bread or whole wheat Roggenbrot or Roggenmischbrot, a...
This article is about my second visit to the largest covered supermarket De Bazaar. It is located in Beverwijk, The Netherlands. It is not far from Amsterdam, around 15 minutes by car. It is one of the main tourist...
Have you tried paraffin wax for your hands and feet? If not, try it and you will see how soft your hands and feet will be. It is a soothing wax spa treatment you´ll love to experience.