How to cook Menudo (Filipino Style)
Menudo Philippine version
How to cook Pork Menudo
Prep time: 60-90 minutes
2 lbs of pork butt or loin cut n cubes or strips is prefered
1/2 lb of pork liver cut in cubes
1 tbsp. of minced garlic
1medium onion chopped
2 tomatoes sliced
1 small red bell peppers cut in strips 1small green pepper cut in strips
2 potatoes sliced in small cubes
1 carrot sliced in small cubes
1 tbsp. of raisins
1/2 c. of sweet peas
1/2 c. garbanzos (chick peas), optional
1/4 c. of tomato paste
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp. of olive oil 1 tsp soy sauce
1/4 c. of vegetable oil (if you’re going to fry the potatoes; see notes below)
meat broth or water
salt and pepper to taste
For the marinate: 3 tbsp lemon juice and 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Marinate pork for at least 15-30 minutes in lemon/calamansi and soy sauce mixture.
- In a casserole, heat the olive oil. Over medium-high heat, brown pork pieces until the meat is no longer pink. Set aside on the casserole. Add the garlic and chopped onions, tomatoes until cooked well.
- Add the tomato paste, 1 tbsp soy sauce, bay leaf and 1 c. of water. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for an hour or until pork is tender. Check the amount of liquid once in a while. Add more broth or water, if necessary, about half a cup at a time. When the pork is tender, increase the heat to medium-low and add the liver cubes. Cook for about 2 minutes. Add cooked potato and carrot cubes, sweet peas and diced bell pepper. Adjust the seasonings. Stir to distribute ingredients. Serve over rice.
- Adding a sweet dill pickle is an option. You can substitute this in place of raisins.
- Eliminating liver is fine if you don't eat liver. Can use liver spread also.
- Frying potato and carrots are optional.
More by this Author
Learn how to make pork adobo.Adobo is one of the most famous Filipino dishes. Meat choices are chicken or pork. This simple dish is loved by many because of its sweet, sour, and garlicky flavor.
Celebrating 18th birthday for young women in the Philippines is a very special event every family looks forward to. If a girl comes from a middle-class or affluent family, most of the time, they do a lot of preparations...