How to make Puran Poli : Indian Dessert recipe
Recipe for Puran Poli
Puran Poli is a popular sweet dish made from maida (all purpose flour), chana dal and jaggery flavored with cardamom powder and grated coconut. This popular Indian dessert is best to serve hot. If you want to invite friends over for some coffee or tea, it would be great to serve it with some delicious snacks or indian desserts. Knowledge of how to make Puran Poli and Puran Poli recipe will come in very handy during this situation.
Ingredients for puran Poli recipe:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (maida)
- 1 cup chana dal, soaked in water for 2-3 hours
- 1 cup jaggery
- 3 tablespoon grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp oil
- Tawa for frying
How to make Puran Poli:
- Wash and cook the chana dal with water and turmeric powder in a pressure cooker till it turns soft. Drain the water. Grind it into a smooth paste.
- Add jaggery and 1 1/2 cups of water and cook to make a thick syrup.
- Now add cardamom powder, grinded chana dal, grated coconut and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes. This is called puran. The chana dal filling should not be watery.
- Make small balls of the filling. Divide the dough into small balls of equal size.
- Combine all purpose flour, oil and water. Make a smooth dough. Knead well. Leave under the wet cloth for 4 hours. Divide the dough into small portions.
- Take one portion of the maida dough and roll it into a disc of the size of the palm. Now place the chana dal filling in the centre and cover and seal up the filling.
- Add little flour and roll out the dough into thick puris. It is called poli.
- Fry each puran poli on a hot tawa. Cook on both sides. Puran poli is ready to be served.
- Apply ghee on both sides when done.
- Free Valentine's Day Wallpapers
- Valentine's Day Recipes for Kids
Here are some easy valentine's day recipes for kids including chocolate minicups, chocolate covered strawberries, banana bread and heart shaped cookies. These are easy to make and very tasteful too. Kids...
- Sakkarai Pongal - Sweet Pongal Recipe
Sakkarai pongal is a sweet variation of ven pongal. Learn how to make sakkarai pongal/ sweet pongal by following this recipe. Sakkarai pongal is made with rice, moong dal, jaggery and seasoned with...
- Indian Dessert Recipe: How to make Badam Kheer
- Indian Dessert Recipe: How to make Gulab Jamun
- How to make Rasgulla: Indian Dessert Recipe
More by this Author
Pootharekulu is a popular dessert made in Andhra in India. Pootharekulu is made of rice starch, sugar powder, ghee and cardamom powder. Rice is cooked to a consistency of gruel. The cooked rice starch looks like a white...
Enjoy diwali festival sweet dessert recipes including diwali jalebi recipe, diwali carrot halwa and diwali besan ka ladoo recipe.
Want to teach your child some basic math concepts? Read on to find out how an abacus make learning math easy and fun for your child!