How to make Rasgulla: Indian Dessert Recipe
Rasgulla is a popular sweet dish comprised of cheese (paneer) balls flavoured in a sugar syrup with cardamom seeds. These delicious jamuns are perfect for any type of gatherings. It is best to refrigerate and serve chilled.
For Rasgulla balls
- Milk- 4 cups
- Lemon juice disssolved in water- 2 tablespoon lemon juice dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
- All purpose flour (maida)- 1 tablespoon
For the sugar syrup
- Sugar- 1 1/2 cup
- Water- 4 cups
- Cardamom powder- 1/4 teaspoon
1. Heat milk in a pan and bring it to boil for about 8-10 minutes.
2. When it starts boiling, add lemon juice and wait for the milk to curdle completely.
3. Remove from the heat and let it cool for about 3-5 minutes.
4. Pour over a thin muslin/cotton cloth and tie it with a tight knot. On straining this milk, the curd is obtained is called "paneer". wash paneer well using muslin cloth under cold running water to remove lemon juice flavor.
5. Knead paneer for about 5-7 minutes to make a smooth dough. Add flour and knead again for few minutes.
6. Make smalls of about 1 inch in size (8-10) of the dough and keep aside.
7. Next make sugar syrup. Mix sugar, water, and cardamom powder in a saucepan and bring it to boil.
8. Add paneer balls to the hot syrup on a medium heat and cook for about 15-20 minutes with lid partially covered.
9. Transfer into a serving dish.
10. Refrigerate and serve chilled.
* Rasgullas should always be cooked on a high flame.
* The softness of the rasgulla depends on how well you knead the paneer. The more you knead, the more spongy will be the rasgullas
* While cooking, it should double their size.
* The cooking time of the rasgullas will vary depending on their size.
Video that shows how to make Rasgulla
More by this Author
Pootharekulu is a popular dessert made in Andhra in India. Pootharekulu is made of rice starch, sugar powder, ghee and cardamom powder. Rice is cooked to a consistency of gruel. The cooked rice starch looks like a white...
Enjoy diwali festival sweet dessert recipes including diwali jalebi recipe, diwali carrot halwa and diwali besan ka ladoo recipe.
Wondering what you can and can't eat if you have H. Pylori? Read on for a list of foods to avoid and foods you should make a point to eat.