How to make a Cheese and Potato Pie
Cheese and Potato Pie
Cheese and Potato Pie is a filling meal that can be prepared from ingredients found in your store cupboard and fridge. It is naturally gluten free and is suitable for vegetarians who eat cheese and eggs, It is So easy to make that even the most unaccomplished cook can produce a mouth watering meal. The photos that accompany were taken of a pie that I made at home so read, look and savour!
Ingredients for Cheese and Potato Pie
This recipe serves 4:
8 Large potatoes - peeled and cut into quarters
3 medium onions - peeled but left whole
Milk and butter for mashing - if desired
250g of mature cheese (cheddar is good)
4 eggs (optional)
Salt and pepper (optional)
How to make Cheese and Potato Pie
- Fill a large saucepan with cold water, bring to the boil and add potatoes and onions. Make sure that the vegetables are covered and then boil until the potatoes are soft.
- Drain the potatoes and the onions
- Cut the onions into small slices (this is now tear proof as they are cooked)
- Mash the potatoes with a little milk or butter if desired and mix in 175g of the cheese.(Reserve the rest of the cheese for the garnish)
- Add the onions to the mixture and mix carefully so that they are evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Put the mixture into an oven proof serving dish and make four hollows in the mash.
- Crack an egg into each hollow and garnish the pie with some slices of tomato.
- Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the top of the pie.
- Put the pie under a medium grill and watch to make sure that it does not burn. By the time the cheese has melted , the eggs should be cooked, but check by putting a knife in the egg white.
- Serve, perhaps accompanied by a salad.
Easy to make Cheese and Potato Pie
The portions may not appear to be large but be warned this pie is very filling. This recipe is ideal for a cold day when you need to serve a filling meal quickly. It is made of ingredients that you normally find in your store cupboard/fridge.
If you use a strong cheese it allows the taste of the cheese and onion to blend together. If you like cheese and onion crisps you will love this pie,.
- QUICK TO MAKE
- EASY TO MAKE
- FILLING AND INEXSPENSIVE
- WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT!
OTHER WARMING MEALS
- How to make a cottage pie
If you eat red meat you will enjoy this recipe for a traditional cottage pie, when served with vegetables and lashings of gravy it makes a lovely warming meal
More by this Author
Some days I need a quick and easy recipe to feed my family and any additional hangers- on that seem to appear at meal times. One of my tried and tested recipes is Cottage Pie,which involves a little preparation but once...
If you need to eat gluten free food have a look at Tesco Free From Range. Tesco have a range of products, the majority of which are quite nice and are all "free from foods", in other words they do not contain...
Charles II followed his father to the throne of England after the restoration of the monarchy. He loved women, despite being married to Catherine De Braganza he continued to have a stream of royal mistresses.