How to make a delicious fish kinilaw
1 kilo fish (cubed)
1 1/2 cup vinegar
3/4 cup thin coconut milk
8-10 pcs lemon (cut in half)
1/2 tbsp salt
1 medium onion (sliced)
1 medium ginger (sliced)
2 medium tomatoes (sliced)
2-3 pcs hot chili --- optional
1. Wash fish with water gently.
2. Soak the fish with vinegar for 5-10 minutes. Set aside.
3. While waiting, squeeze the lemon and add the coconut milk, salt, onion, ginger, tomatoes and chili. Make sure the salt has already been disolved. Set aside.
4. Get the fish soaked with vinegar.
5. Get a handful of fish and squeeze gently to remove vinegar. Put the squeezed fish into a separate bowl. Do this until there is no more fish left.
6. Pour the mixture of spices to the squeezed fish and mix. If you want to have it hot, slice the chilis into several pieces
7. Chill for 1 hour then serve.
Tips and Techniques
1. If you buy a fish, especially from a wet market, make sure it is very fresh. A fresh fish will give you a sweet kinilaw. You may request to have the fish deboned and cut into cubes already to avoid all the hassle of deboning and slicing.
2. The most ideal fish is tuna or tangigue but if you want to save a little, a local fish called barongoy will do.
3. Do not add the vinegar into your mixture. Make sure you squeeze it out from the fish. You may be wondering why. This is because this will overcook your fish and your fish will get very sour the longer it gets soaked in it. The lemon is just enough to give you the sour taste even if you consume your kinilaw later. Aside from that, it will help eliminate the smell from the fish.
4. You may add the lemon heads to your mixture to add more color to your kinilaw if you don't have chilis.
5. Some kinilaw are not added with coconut milk. I prefer to have it added because it enhances the sweet taste of the fish. Thereby making your kinilaw more delicious.
More by this Author
I have always loved to eat green mangoes for as long as I can remember. Though I have tried several sauces and dips to pair with it but so far this is the best dip recipe I created. Allow me to share it with you. ...
This is another series, as promised, of my previous hub, The Healer Within This hub aims to share the source of diseases and how to prevent it or get rid of it using the 3-step supplement program. If you are not...