Two Classic Old Fashioned Bourbon Whiskey Recipes
Classic Old Fashioned Cocktail Recipe
The Old Fashioned is my favorite cocktail. If you have never had an Old Fashioned, the best way to describe it is like a sweet Manhattan. It's mainly whiskey.
Here is my personal recipe for an Old Fashioned.
Old Fashioned Cocktail Recipe Rating
- Maker's Mark bourbon (or other whiskey or scotch)
- 2 slices orange, 1/4 inch thick, cut in half
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- soda water (optional)
- 3 maraschino cherries
- ice cubes
- In the bottom of an "Old Fashioned" glass (a short, broad glass), put the sugar, bitters, one orange slice and two cherries. Muddle (that is, smash) the fruit, sugar and bitters together, getting some juice out of the fruit and encouraging the sugar to dissolve.
- Place two or three ice cubes in the glass, add a splash of soda water if you want, plop in the third cherry and an orange slice, and add two shots of the liquor, or enough to pretty much fill the glass. Stir and enjoy.
This recipe makes a sweet, but very strong Old Fashioned. While many recipes call for one or two ounces of bourbon, making your Old Fashioned this way is likely to use three ounces or more.
A Truly Old-Fashioned Recipe For an Old Fashioned
References to an "Old Fashioned" cocktail begin in the late 1800s. It was called "old fashioned" because it followed a recipe from the early 1800s, minus various liqueurs (like Curacao and absinthe) that had been added in the mid-1800s. Fruit ingredients like cherries, orange, and lemon began appearing after the late 1800s.
The Original Old Fashioned Recipe
- 2 ounces of bourbon (two shots)
- 1 cube of sugar
- 2 dashes of Angostura bitters
- 1 teaspoon water
Place the sugar and bitters in a glass. Add the water, and muddle to dissolve the sugar. Add the bourbon and ice. Stir and serve.
More by this Author
Filet Mignon, which comes from the beef tenderloin of a cow, is known for its tenderness and rich fat marbling.
Barbecuing filet mignon is a science. Here is how to grill perfectly cooked steak every time that tastes and looks fantastic.
Suggestions from kids, parents, and friends on what to get an eight-year-old girl for her birthday.