How to make banana bread - an easy recipe
This easy banana bread recipe makes a delicious moist banana flavoured loaf. It is really more of a cake than bread, made with fresh bananas, eggs, brown sugar and wholemeal flour, and makes a healthy and filling sweet snack or teatime treat.
This is a useful recipe if you have over-ripe bananas left in your fruit bowl, as it is the perfect way to use them up. It is also very simple to make - no special cookery techniques are required - so even if cake-making is not your forte, you will find this recipe nice and easy.
- 8 oz (200 g) wholemeal self raising flour
- 2 oz (50 g) butter
- 2 oz (50 g) dark brown sugar
- 2 oz (50 g) honey or golden syrup
- 2 eggs
- 2 large very ripe bananas
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. With wholemeal flour you always get the husk left in the sieve - throw this into the bowl too.
- Melt the butter, honey (or syrup) and sugar in a saucepan over a low heat. Heat until just melted and the sugar has dissolved.
- Beat the eggs, and mash the bananas. (The bananas can be as ripe as you like, the spottier the better, as they are lovely and sweet and mushy!)
- Make a well in the centre of the flour, then pour in all the wet ingredients - melted butter and sugar mixture, the eggs and the bananas. Stir it all together with a large wooden spoon and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 1 lb loaf tin, and bake in a preheated oven at 350 F (180 deg C, or gas mark 4) for one hour.
- When cooked the loaf will be firm to the touch and a lovely golden brown colour. Turn the tin out onto a wire cooling rack and allow to cool for 20 mins before cutting the loaf. It is delicious served warm with fresh cream or custard or can be enjoyed cold and on its own.
More by this Author
How to make a completely vegetarian Christmas dinner, with a delicious recipe for nut roast that can be served alongside or instead of a traditional turkey roast.
A simple recipe for basic pancake batter, tips for perfect pancakes, and some delicious serving suggestions. A brief history of Pancake Day is included.
This hub explains the role of typesetting in modern publishing, and describes the processes involved.