How to make cheese sauce: a simple step-by-step recipe
- Prep time: 5 min
- Cook time: 10 min
- Ready in: 15 min
- Yields: 1 pint
How do you rate this recipe?
Cheese sauce is such a versatile sauce, and is a very useful thing to be able to make, especially for use in vegetarian recipes. I often make up a big batch and freeze in in half pint containers ready to use in a vegetable bake or a cauliflower cheese.
This recipe will make one pint of sauce.
- 3 oz butter
- 1 1/2 oz plain flour
- 1 pint milk
- 4 oz good flavoured hard cheese (eg. cheddar or emmental), grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a non-stick or heavy bottomed saucepan, melt the butter over a low heat
- Remove from heat and stir in the flour, salt and pepper, stirring quite well to make sure there are no lumps
- Add the cold milk - only about a tablespoonful at a time - and mix until smooth before adding any more. When you have mixed it all in return to the heat
- Bring to the boil very slowly, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon.
- As it nears boiling point you will feel it start to thicken in the pan. It is essential that you stir very well at this point to prevent lumps from forming (* see note below if you get lumps)
- Once you see the first bubble in the sauce it should be thick enough, so remove from the heat
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before adding the grated cheese and stir in until melted
- Use the sauce to pour over vegetables, or to use in your favourite recipe.
* Note: If you happen to turn your back at the wrong moment and find yourself with lumpy sauce it can be rescued by removing from the heat immediately and whisking vigorously until smooth again. In extreme cases a blender can come to the rescue!
As mentioned above the sauce freezes very well, and can also be stored in the fridge for a couple of days.
More by this Author
Five easy recipes for cooking with eggs, all suitable for vegetarians, and a great way to get some good quality protein into your diet. Spanish omelette, cheese souffle, vegetable quiche, lemon meringue pie and egg...
A step-by-step guide to making the perfect home-made blackcurrant jam. Delicious and full of vitamin C!
A simple recipe for basic pancake batter, tips for perfect pancakes, and some delicious serving suggestions. A brief history of Pancake Day is included.