Unbelievably Good Fried Chicken Recipe
Fried Chicken Technique Handed Down To Me
There are many ways to make a good fried chicken. There are people who swear by the recipe that was handed down by their grandma from the old country.
I have a recipe that was handed down by my Aunt Bea who was raised in the South. If you want a great, juicy, tender, flavorful fried chicken you just have to try this recipe.
This recipe was actually passed down to my aunt from her mother-in-law. She was an excellent cook who closely guarded her recipes. I don't know what my aunt said or did to get her to give her this recipe, but I am thankful she did.
Fried Chicken Recipe
2 lbs chicken, cut up
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup parmesan/romano cheese
1/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1. Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry. Salt and pepper to taste.
2. Mix together milk, mayonnaise and egg.
3. Combine flour, parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs and garlic powder and place in resealable plastic bag.
4. Dredge chicken in milk mix, let excess mix drop off.
5. Drop chicken into flour mix and coat all sides thoroughly.
6. Remove chicken and set aside. Repeat with all pieces of chicken.
7. Cover and refrigerate chicken for 1 hour. This will make a crispier chicken.
8. Heat shortening in large cast iron skillet. The edges should be 4" high and the shortening should cover the bottom half of the thickest piece of chicken.
9. Fry chicken for 10 to 15 minutes per side according to size of chicken piece. The juice runs clear when the chicken is done. Always use tongs. Using an instrument that pierces the meat lets the juice run out of it.
10. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
Healthy Meals Using Fried Chicken
So looking at this recipe I know it can't be eaten all the time. It may be delicious but it sure can torpedo a diet. I got to thinking about how I could get to eat this chicken as a healthy meal.
You can make a chicken salad. My idea of a great chicken salad is lettuce, tomato, cucumber, little slices of celery, radishes, black olives, some low fat shredded cheese, chopped up fried chicken from my recipe above and some ranch dressing (low fat of course).
Another way to use it is to put it in a chicken pot pie. It adds flavor to it like you wouldn't believe.
I think it would be great in a stir-fry of sorts. I think I would slice up some onion, green pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, and some of the chicken.
Or how about as a chicken salad lettuce wrap. Chop up the chicken, add some onion, celery, and a touch of mayonnaise and wrap it in a giant lettuce leaf.
Anyway you fix it, I am sure it will be delicious.
- Good old southern country fried chicken. Crisp deep ...
Col. Sanders be gone. Make your own country fried chicken at home, and get a rich dark brown chicken with a shatteringly crisp crust and a taste so good you'll find yourself inexplicably in front of the fridge...
- Perfect Fried Chicken - How to Make the Real Souther...
Perfect Crispy Fried Chicken Fried chicken is one of those dishes that is simple in design, but seems to fall apart on execution. It constantly finds its way onto top comfort food lists, but also tends to trip up most cooks. The perfect fried...
- How to Make Southern Fried Chicken
My grandmother always made the best fried chicken. At some point my dad video taped her making it and we wrote down the recipe. Now I can make her Southern Fried Chicken myself and think of her when I eat...
- Easy Low-Fat Oven-Fried Chicken Recipes
Low fat ingredients and baking vs frying make these yummy chicken recipes a hit with your tastebuds and your waistline!
- How To Make The " Best Fried Chicken In the USA"
This is how Fried Chicken should look.A nice crust with a honey colored skin. Amazon.com: Amazon Coupons Find, shop for and buy Amazon Coupons at Amazon.com 50 Best Southern Food Blogs Southern Cook Book...
More by this Author
Chicken seems to be the most popular meat around. It is low in calories and oh so delicious. It is the perfect meat to use for every day eating or for dieting.
Nothing makes a piece of chicken tastier than a good marinade. Be it sweet or tangy or even a combination of the two, you will find a marinade just for you.
Every color has it's own special meaning. Have you ever wondered what makes a hospital paint their walls a cool green? Read and find out.