How to make the best buchi by Harlan's Original Recipe
2 lbs Glutinous Rice Flour (Mochico Brand if available)
1 lb Sweet Potato
1/2 lb Brown Sugar
1 Cup of Water
12 oz Sesame Seed
Sweet Mung-Bean Paste or Purple Yam Jam
16 fl oz Canola Oil or any cooking oil
1. Boil the Sweet Potatoes in a casserole then mash it afterwards.
2. Make dough - In a mixing bowl, mix well the sweet rice flour, mashed sweet potato and water
3. After mixing it well, slice the dough into small pieces, creating a uniform table tennis ball size dough. With the quantity of the dough that you will mix, probably you can make an estimate of 50 pcs of buchi or more.
4. Press the center of the spherical dough or until the shape becomes concave (to make a space for the fillings)
5. Fill it with the filling of your choice whether the mung-bean paste or the yam jam, don’t put too much so you can still seal the dough. Roll it once more until you brought it back to its spherical form.
6. Place the Sesame seed in a bowl, roll the dough with fillings carefully until the seeds stick all over it.
7. Heat the pan and pour-in the cooking oil, make sure the oil is very hot before you deep fry the dough.
8. You will know that the buchi is cooked when it floats in the oil and wait until the sesame seeds turn golden brown.
9. Put the cooked buchi in the strainer to drain excess oil.
10. Enjoy Harlan's Original Buchi.