How to make the perfect, healthy vegetable lasagna from scratch. Recipe.
Vegetarian lasagne is a wonderful, healthy meal, making it from scratch is easy and cheaper than buying a ready made version. You know just what has gone into your dish, so it is easy to keep it as low calorie as you want it to be.
I have used semi skimmed milk and low fat spread in this recipe, you can also use a low fat cheese - making it even lower in calories. However you make it it will be high in taste.
I serve this dish with a nice green salad and a couple of slices of garlic bread - naughty but nice! This lasagne can be stored in the fridge for two days and will warm up very well in a low oven or the microwave. It can also be frozen, leave it to cool, cover tightly with cling film and freeze the day you make it, it will then keep for three months in the freezer. Take it out the night before you want it and let it defrost slowly.
- 1 1/2tbls olive oil
- 120g mushrooms, quartered
- 2x large white onions, cut into chunks
- 2x medium or 1 large courgette, cut into chunks
- 4 small or two large sweet chilli peppers, cut into chunks
- 1 large or 2 small Aubergine (egg plants), cut into chunks
- 1 jar or can passata
- 650g semi skimmed milk
- 100g hard cheese such as cheddar, grated
- 50g low fat spread
- 50g flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 cloves garlic, optional
- 1tsp english mustard, optional
- 1x packet lasagne sheets
How to make your lasagne.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy based saucepan, add the sliced onions and fry for five minutes.
- Stir in the peppers, courgette, aubergine and garlic if used. Cook for ten minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and the passatta, stir well and cook for a further ten minutes. Add salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Meanwhile, make the cheese sauce. Place the flour, spread, milk and the mustard, if you are using it, into a saucepan, over a moderate heat and cook, stirring the whole time. Don't leave the sauce at this stage as it will thicken very quickly and it is easy to ruin it.
- When the sauce starts to thicken,lower the heat and continue to stir for a further one minute, remove from the heat and stir in half of the grated cheese. Check the seasoning at this stage and if needed add a little salt and pepper. Remember, that the cheese will be quite salty so don't over do the salt.
- In a lasagne dish place a layer of the vegetable mixture, then a layer of cheese sauce and then a layer of lasagne sheets. Repeat, ending with a layer of cheese sauce. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and bake in a moderate oven (190c) for fifty minutes.
- When cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving, this will make it a lot easier to cut a tidy slice.
You can make this dish using just about any vegetables that you have in the store cupboard.
It can be made using Quorn or your favourite veggie mince, add sliced onions, sliced mushrooms and tomatoes to make it more like a meat lasagne.
I have even made it using butternut squash and curry sauce, it works really well.
You can make this dish vegan friendly by using vegan spread, soya milk and leaving out the cheese.
Or making it with vegan cheese, but I have found that vegan cheese doesn't really cook all that well so I prefer to leave it out and just eat it cold.
If I am making a vegan sauce I add a little more mustard and a few chopped herbs. A spoonful of wholegrain mustard goes really well, it adds taste and texture.
You have to be careful when you are using a vegan spread, as it can separate during cooking, keep the heat a little lower and don't take your eyes off the sauce as it cooks.
This vegetarian lasagne is healthy and filling and very easy to make from scratch, give it a try and let me know what you think of it.
More by this Author
Learn how to make perfect chocolate florentines using healthy dark chocolate. These great tasting cookies look amazing and will last for weeks in an airtight container.
Are you a vegetarian who still craves the taste of good old fashioned British fish and chips? Crave no more, for here is a great tasting recipe using halloumi cheese as a fish substitute. Lovely crisp batter, chunky...
Want your home to look fabulous but don't have any money? Find out how to decorate your house on a tight budget. Learn how to add drama and colour to your home for pennies.