How to prepare Raw Chocolate Pie and Fudgesicles
When I first started a raw diet lifestyle I panic that I would miss chocolate, but over time my body wasn’t craving the typical chocolate bar you buy at any grocery or convenience store. There are so many wonderful raw desert recipes that will keep your sweet tooth happy, and you will need less because raw deserts are a little sweeter so it goes a long way and that makes our bodies and waist lines happy as well.
During the 14 day RawRose Culinary Arts Program, ( Uncooking With RawRose - Raw Food Diet and Recipes) , we made over one hundred and fifty recipes and the raw deserts were amazing. Here is one of my favorite raw deserts and I will bring to potlucks and no one knows it’s all raw. Even my meat eating partner loves this chocolate delight!
This will make one 9” round pie (includes 2 cups of filling)
For Chocolate Cream Pie you will need some extra prep time of 30 minutes and to set the pie, 2 hours in the refrigerator or in the freezer for about a half hour to 45 minutes.
· Fist soak ¾ cups of dates for 30 minutes in 2 tablespoons of water
(measure after removing pits)
For the Crust:
1 ½ cups of walnuts or pecans (not soaked)
½ cup shredded dry coconut (unsweetened)
¼ teaspoon of sea salt
¼ teaspoon of cinnamon
¼ teaspoon of nutmeg
½ cup of dates (measure after removing pits, not soaked)
· Process nuts, coconut, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in your food processor until nuts are small bits.
· Add unsoaked dates to mixture in the food processor and process briefly until dates are also small bits. Gently places mixture in a 9” pie plate then press firmly to form crust.
For the Filling
¾ cups of dates (measure after removing pits, to soak)
1/3 cup of raw agave nectar (use less if using carob powder)
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
¼ teaspoon of allspice
¼ to ½ teaspoon of sea salt
½ cup of cacao powder (or cacao powder & carob powder)
1 ½ cups of avocados, mashed (approximately 2 avocados)
· Places dates, soak water from dates, agave, lemon juice, allspice and sea salt in food processor and process until smooth.
· Add cacao and mashed avocados to mixture in food processor; process until smooth. Pour into crust.
For the Topping:
1 cup of your favorite berries, or use some shredded coconut with crushed walnuts or pecans on top, really the topping is up to you. Sometimes I use blueberries and strawberries, then sprinkle coconut on top.
· Decorate with berries or/and banana slices.
· To set, refrigerate 2 hours or put in freezer for 30 to 45 minutes to serve right away.
· Your chocolate pie will last up to 3 days in the fridge and up to 2 weeks in the freezer.
You can also make fudgesicles for a summer treat or bring to a potluck, great for children and adults. They’ll never know the difference.
· Prepare the filling.
· Add ¾ cup of water and stir well.
· Spoon into an ice cube tray, insert wooden sticks, and then freeze for up to an hour or longer for real frozen chocolate delight.
· If you want to use a different mold you might have to add more water or make a batch and half of the filling, depending on your mold.
Have fun and Enjoy!
More by this Author
Fog Further into the slide of doom my thoughts linger with the fog of the morning tide - I think I made you up as I shut my eyes and let the flashes of light dance freely....
Writing is more than just putting words together to create a different world. Creativity is a way of life - sometimes you have to step out of the and let creativity take over.
Trust and faith are part of your creative life and persistence helps as well. Creativity wants to work through you and at some point you have to step a side to let imagination take over.