A Very Healthy Delicious Green Papaya Salad Recipe
This green papaya salad known as "Som Tam" which is the most popular dish both in Thailand and aborad. It is Thai spicy primarily cooked from either vegetables or fruits that will make a great impression. It's a refreshing healthy salad that combines sweet, sour, salty and spicy into one harmonious dish. The original of this dish is Northeast or Isaan, the largest region of Thailand, is a high plateau with an arid land and low rainfall.
David Thompson is an Australian chef, restaurateur and cookery writer, known for his skill and expertise in Thai cuisine. The article below is his writing about this recipe.
" This dish is one of the most loved in the Thai repertoire. Originally a market-place snack or lunchtime dish from the north-est, it proved so irresistible that it is now eaten throughout Thailand and has become a signature dish. Fermented fish sauce is sometimes used to season the papaya rather than fish sauce. A wedge of lime can also be included in the paste before adding the green papaya. In the markets of Bangkok, I have even seen some hawkers slice a ripe hog plum into the mortar.
The traditional method of shredding a green papaya is quite easy. The hard, green fruit is peeled with a sharp knife, then it is held in one hand while the other cuts and shreds the flesh, before it is sliced away from the fruit. A more modern and convenient method is to use a mandoline."
I love his writing because he can express about this dish very well and I know he write with his passion.
This dish is very easy to make, low calorie, and very neutritious, so try this Som Tam recipe for dinner tonight.
150 grams green papaya, peeled and shredded
2-3 cloves garlic
2-3 hot chilies
3 cherry tomatoes (10-15 grams each), sliced into pieces
30 grams pods yard--long bean, cut into 1 inch long
2 tbsp peanuts, roasted
1 tbsp dried shrimps
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp lime juice
1 1/2 tbsp palm sugar
* You can settle on your own balance of ingredients to make it to your taste. This recipe is designed to be a good starting point to try out first*
- In a mortar, coarsely pound hot chilies and garlic together. Add palm sugar, yard-long bean and tomato. Lightly pound to combine. Sqeeze in lime juice and add fish sauce. Lightly pound again. Add green papaya, dried shrimps and peanuts. Pound and toss to combine.
- Transfer into the plate. Enjoy with fresh vegetables as preferred.
However, if you don't have mortar you can crush garlic, hot chilies,tomatoes, yard-long bean. Set them aside in a large bowl. Add dried shrimp, fish sauce, lime juice and palm sugar to the bowl. Add green papaya and mix well.
- If you want the papaya to be more crunchy, peel the papaya and put it into water and leave it in the fridge for 15 minutes. You can also keep the rest of papaya in this way for many days.
- Use tamarind juice instead of lime juice or you can use both but you have to adjust the taste. It will be more tasty.
- Some Thai people love to eat green papaya salad with Pad Thai so let's try it. Maybe you will love to eat this way too.
- The Original Pad Thai Noodle With Prawns Recipe
It is becoming very popular around the world, and can easily be made it at home if you have the right ingredients. Choose from prawns Pad Thai to chicken or vegetarian Pad Thai -they're all...
Nutrition facts of green papaya salad
- Calories in Thai Green Papaya Salad - Nutrition Facts, and Healthy Alternatives | LIVESTRONG.COM
Calories in Thai Green Papaya Salad. Get healthy alternatives or nutrition facts on Thai Green Papaya Salad including the amount of calories, fat, cholesterol, sugar, protein, carbohydrates & vitamins with the Daily Plate calorie counter at LIVES
More by this Author
Thai flower dumpling is a challenging Thai cuisine recipe as it needs a little bit of artistic ability and perseverance. I think you can tell by the way why I am telling you this and as you see the above picture. Many...
Thai food is well known around the world because of its taste,nutrition and containing small amount of fat. Many researchers found that Thai food provides high nutrition with health benefits. In the past, before the...
IELTS speaking test is the most difficult part for some people. In my opinion, speaking English on a regular basis each day is not difficult. We can talk all day and we have a lot of topics to talk about. People...
No comments yet.