How to Braise Poultry
Brasing is a combination technique thats starts with a dry-heat cooking method and ends with a moist-heat cooking methid. When you serve braised poultry, it should always be accompanied by the liquid in which it was prepared. Some examples include ( Chicken Pparika, Coq au vin, and Chicken Fricassee ). Like poultry that is simmered or poached, braised poulrty gets a boost of flavor from its cooking liquid. Seasoning can be added to the liquid during cooking.
General Steps To Braise Poultry
1. Brown and sear the poultry in a small amount of fat in a rondeau or a braising pan.
2. Add the liquid and bring to a simmer, The liquid should cover two thirds of the poultry.
3. Cover the pan and continue to simmer on th range-top or in the oven until the poultry is done. To test for doneness, use a fork to see that the meat is tender and cuts easily without falling apart. The meat must hold an internal temperature of 165 degrees for at least 15 seconds.
Determining Doneness of Poultry
Cook poultry until the meat is well don. Any type of poultry should be cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees. The cooked poultry should hold this temperature for at least 15 seconds to be done safely. To properly measure this temperature, place a meat thermometer in the thigh of the bird at its thickest part, away from the bone. Keep in mind that no matter what method you use, the poultry must be fully cooked.
Just keep in your mind that braising is a technique that begins by browning the food using dry heat. Braising involves partially covering the meat with liquid and cooking in a tightly covered pan. To begin the braising process, first season the meat. Avoid using large amounts of salt as this will slow the browning process. Many chefs marinate meat for several hours or a day prior to braising.
Keep the following tips in mind when braising
1. Pat the meat dry prior to browning, especially if it has been marinated.
2. Dredge the meat in flour just before cooking to improve browning.
3. Do not use more liquid than is necessary.
4. When meat is done, it should be fork tender.
If you follow you these suggestions you will have beautiful braised meats every time the instructions are easy to understand for you to follow, just take your time and enjoy cooking just like I do, learning this technique is no problem if your willing to work at it a little and, when you do the meal you prepare will be much more rewarding.
More by this Author
Many people thinks that making a good Red Velvet cake takes a lot of work, but you can use a box mix with some good cream cheese and sour cream that will knock you off your feet, if you follow this quick and easy recipe...