Supermarket Own Branded Food
We used to shop at TESCO and really liked the supermarket branded products, TESCO Value. But we moved our house recently, there is no TESCO near by, we shift to Sainsbury's and found that Sainsbury's has quite similar own branded products, Sainsbury's Basic, as Tesco Value, and we like it very much.
I am sorry for probably stating the obvious, but buying supermarket own brand products would probably drastically reduce your food bill. And if you can I would suggest trying all the value/basics versions of what you would normaly buy. They are so cheap it wont be the end of the world if you dont like them.
I for example buy Sainsbury's basics cornflakes at 29p for 500g, kelloggs are over £2! Another of my favourite value buys is a basics jar of curry sauce at 4p, and its absolutley fabulous, to be honest, with boiled basic long rice of course! I wonder how much a glass jar cost and how much profit Sainsbury's could make from this product. But unfortunately, the price of curry sauce has now been risen to 8p, but still very cheap.
- tinned baked bean/spaghetti
- tinned tomatoes
- fairtrade bananas - they say there are supposed to be 8 of them in the pack but I routinely find 9-11 in there
- basic potatoes - large bag. I have found these just as tasty as the more expensive range and are mostly seem better quality in terms of not throwing them away due to manky parts of the potato
- basics apples - it states on the front of the packaging what variety of apples so one week it will be Braeburns and then a few weeks later they will be Gala apples etc.
- basic peppers, although you normally only get around 1 red pepper
- basic onions
- Basic carrots.
- Basic chocolate - this is actually really nice and my daughter likes it so much that I have to make a quota for her. Because I think this is pure chocolate, whenever my daughter eats too much, her nose start bleeding next day or even that night. I really was scared one night, she drenched in blood when she woke up crying.
- Basic rice crispies with chocolate coating,
- Basic biscuits - if you're really not into you home baking these are just as good as the more expensive brand
You can go on like this with loads of things and its helped me half what I had started to spend on a weekly basis ! Of course my cupboards look a little boring but I have more money left in my purse after my weekly food
More by this Author
First time buy a pot of cream, with the intention of cooking oats porridge, which is recommended by a Scottish man. And then I learned that cream can be divided into double and single by percentage of fat content....
Mucilaginous foods, such as okra, Chinese yams, lotus root, and natto, are widely promoted as being very healthy. The large ratio of mucin contained in such foods helps safeguard and repair the mucous membranes...
Learn why your gas fire keeps going out even when it still seems on and how to fix this.