Ice Cream Roll : How to make an Ice Cream Swiss Roll Cake Recipe
To make a traditional Swiss roll or roulade, you begin with the basic sponge cake baked in a sheet pan, then you top it with a spread (jam, cream, etc) and roll it to form a roll cake. With an ice cream cake roll it is basically the same procedure, start with a flat sponge sheet cake, spread ice cream on top of it, then roll it up. It is a perfect cake for children's birthdays or parties or even just a tasty after dinner dessert!
You can either choose to buy sponge cake pre-made from the store or you can use a simple sponge cake recipe.
- 1 flat 13x9 inch sheet sponge cake
- Ice cream or frozen yogurt, You can use various flavors
- Whipped cream and cherries to top, Optional
- Lay the sponge cake on a sheet of wax paper.
- Using a spatula spread the ice cream evenly on top of the cake, leaving a few inches near the edge opposing the side you will roll from.
- Roll the sponge cake tightly (not too tight) until you have a roll.
- Top the cake with whipped cream and cherries. Then freeze, or serve immediately.
- Eat and enjoy!