Indonesian Potato Cakes Recipe (Perkedel Kentang / Frikadellen)
Perkedel kentang (frikadel) is Indonesian adaptation of frikadellen, Ducth meat patties. Unlike Dutch frikadellen, perkedel kentang is made of mashed potatoes mixed with little bit of ground beef. The potato patties then deep-fried in oil into perfection. In Indonesia, perkedel (frikadel) is served in soto or sop (traditional soup) or eaten as part of meal. Sometime it is served as snack or appetizer.
Perkedel is very easy to prepare. Some cooks love to deep-fried the potatoes before mash it. This method is used to prevent the mushy mashed potatoes but I love to steam it which is preferable for low-fat diets. Here is easy recipe of Indonesian potato cakes.
What You Need
Serves 4 - 8
12 oz potatoes
2 cups ground beef
1 spring onion, chopped
1 sprig Chinese celery, chopped
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 egg, separate the yolk from the white
cooking oil for deep frying
How to Make
- Peel and cut the potatoes in cubes. Put a trivet in the bottom of pressure cooker and lay steamer basket on the top of trivet. Put the potatoes in the steamer basket. Steam the potatoes over high pressure. It will take about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from pressure cooker then mash it until smooth. Add garlic powder, nutmeg, salt, pepper, egg yolk, spring onion, celery and ground beef. Mix well until blended.
- Take 1 or 2 tablespoon of the mixture and roll it into small ball then press to flatten slightly. Follow the same procedure with the remaining mixture.
- Put the potato patty in the fridge. Let it rest about 2 hour to make the patty firm and prevents from crumbling during frying process.
- Heat cooking oil for deep frying in a wok. Dip the potato patty into the lightly beaten egg white . Gently drop the patty into hot oil. Deep fry until the perkedel are golden brown. Remove from hot oil and drain.
- Transfer to serving dish. Enjoy it with steamed rice and soto (Indonesian traditional soup).
More Indonesian Recipes
- Sundanese Raw Vegetable Salad With Spicy Peanut Sauce Recipe (Karedok)
- Indonesian Potato Croquettes Recipe (Kroket Kentang)
- Kue Sus Isi Ragout Ayam Recipe (Chicken Cream Choux Puffs) Recipe
- The Best Indonesian Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe (Soto Ayam)
Perkedel Kentang (in Indonesian)
More by this Author
An easy and tasty Indonesian finger food or appetizer recipe.
Chow Hor Fun (Malaysian chicken chow fun) Flickr by AVLXYZ Chicken chow fun or known as char ho fun/sar hor fun is Malaysian comfort food. It's a dish of ho fun (sar hor fun/hor fun) topped with starchy and gluey sauce...
Steamed meatball is pretty common dim sum food. It can be made of beef, chicken, fish, shrimp or squid. My kid's favorite is steamed pork balls. They are soft, wonderful and flavorful. Fixing steamed meatballs at home...
No comments yet.