Indonesian Potato Croquettes Recipe (Kroket Kentang)
Kroket kentang is popular snack that Indonesian love to eat for it's savory, soft and creamy mashed potatoes. This kroket kentang (potato croquette) is a local adaptation of Dutch potato croquette, deep fried mashed potatoes coated with breadcrumbs. It comes in cylinder or ball shapes with the fillings in the center. The fillings are consist of ground beef, vegetable and or hard boiled egg. It is enjoyed with chili sauce or sambal kacang (spicy peanut sauce) or even fresh bird's eye chili.
This elegant and fun to make snack is easy to fix. It's ideal finger foods or appetizer for any ocassion. Here is how to make kroket kentang at home.
What You Need
2 lbs 4 oz potato
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp milk powder
1/4 tsp ground pepper
cooking oil for deep frying
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups bread crumb
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
4 carrot, shredded
3 spring onions, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp cooking oil
4 tbsp flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp ground pepper
2 hard boiled eggs, peeled, diced
How to Fix
- Put potatoes in a stockpot and add water to cover. Bring to boil over high heat. Cook until the potatoes are tender. Drain. Peel and mash the potatoes. Add salt, nutmeg, ground pepper and milk powder. Stir to mix.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Add cooking oil and onion. Stir-fry for 1 minute or until fragrant. Then add beef. Stir-fry the beef until it has turn pink.
- Throw the carrot, salt, pepper, sugar and spring onions. Stir-fry for about 1 minutes or until the beef is done and the carrot is tender-crisp. Then add the flour. Stir well to coat the mixture with thick sauce. Remove from the heat.
- Take one tablespoon of mashed potato. Shape it into a small ball, then flatten it into a small disk. Put one teaspoon of filling mixture and one piece of diced hard boiled egg on the center. Cover the filling with the mashed potatoes. Shape it into a small ball or cylinder croquette. Follow the same procedure with the remaining mashed potatoes and filling ingredients.
- Put the croquette in the fridge. Let it rest about 2 hour. It will make the croquette firm and prevents from crumbling during frying process.
- Heat cooking oil for deep frying in a wok. Dip the croquette into the beaten egg and roll it in the bread crumb. Gently drop the croquette into hot oil. Deep fry until the croquettes are golden brown. Remove from hot oil and drain.
- Serve it warm with hot chili sauce.
More Indonesian Recipes
- How To Make Bandung Beef Soup (Soto Bandung)
- Indonesian Shrimp And Vegetable Fritters Recipe (Bakwan Sayur Udang)
- Indonesian Oxtain Soup Recipe (Sop Buntut)
- Indonesian Es Puter Kelapa - Traditional Coconut Ice Cream Recipe. How to Make Dairy Free Indonesian
Easy and dairy free ice cream recipe
- Easy And Quick Indonesian Fried Pastry With Ground Beef Fillings Recipe (Martabak Telor)
- Sundanese Raw Vegetable Salad With Spicy Peanut Sauce Recipe (Karedok)
- Beef Liver And Potatoes In Spicy Chili Sauce (Sambal Goreng Hati)
More by this Author
Indonesian oxtail soup - sop buntut Flickr by Miss Yasmina Sop Buntut - Tender oxtail slices with potatoes and carrots swim in clear but rich broth. Among Indonesian soups, sop buntut (Indonesian oxtain soup) is...
Shanghai fried chicken Flickr by Snowpea&bokchoi This is my favorite Chinese fried chicken recipe. It's easy to make and of course tasty. This recipe does not require any breading or batter at all. The chicken...
Baked BBQ Pork Bun Jason Lam If you are familiar with dim sum, you may know how delicious Chinese pork buns are. Pork buns can be steamed or baked. Char siu bao is steamed bun with bbq pork filling. The baked version...