Indonesian Shrimp And Vegetable Fritters Recipe (Bakwan Sayur Udang)
Talking about street snacks, bakwan is one of the most popular street food in Indonesia. Also known as bakwan goreng, bakwan sayur or bakwan sayur udang, this food is categorized as Indonesian "gorengan" (fritters).
It made of flour and various vegetables such as cabbage, carrot, bean sprouts, spring onions. If the shrimp is added into the ingredients then it is called bakwan udang (bakwan udang sayur). Vegetarian version is called bakwan. It comes in irregular or round shape. It's crunchy and loaded with fiber goodness.
Here is how to make Indonesian shrimp and vegetable fritters. Serve it hot as snack or finger foods, even some folks love to enjoy it with warm steamed rice.
Hot Chili Dipping Sauce
What You Need
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup rice flour
1 egg, lighly beaten
1 cup water
12 medium size shrimp, coarsely chopped
2 spring onions, chopped
1 cup shredded carrot
3 cabbage leaves, thinly sliced
oil for deep frying
3 cloves garlic
3 small shallot (Asian shallot)
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
How to Fix
- Use mortar and pestle or food processor to grind the spice (garlic, shallot, salt, sugar and pepper).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the spice paste, flour, rice flour and water. Stir to mix. Then add carrot, cabbage, spring onions, shrimp and egg. stir gently to create a smooth batter.
- Heat a wok over high heat. When hot, pour in the cooking oil.
- Take a spoonful of the batter and gently drop it into the hot oil. Deep fry the fritter until both sides are golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and drain. Serve hot with fresh chilies or hot chili sauce.
More Indonesian Recipes
- Easy Pisang Bakar - Indonesian Grilled Banana Sundae Recipe. How to Make Simple Grilled Banana!
A quick and easy banana dessert recipe !
- Easy Indonesian Jus Alpukat - Avocado Shake Recipe. How to Make Indonesian Style Shake!
How to make avocado juice.
- Indonesian Deep Fried Stuffed Tofu Recipe (Tahu Isi)
- Indonesian Stir-Fried Noodles Recipe (Mie Goreng)
- How To Make Bandung Beef Soup (Soto Bandung)
More by this Author
How to make avocado juice or Indonesian style of Avocado smoothie, a healthy drink.
Chow Hor Fun (Malaysian chicken chow fun) Flickr by AVLXYZ Chicken chow fun or known as char ho fun/sar hor fun is Malaysian comfort food. It's a dish of ho fun (sar hor fun/hor fun) topped with starchy and gluey sauce...
Craving for delicious fried chicken wings ?. Here is the most easy to fix Chinese style deep fried chicken wings. Every body will just love it and craving for more.