Insect Fun Food - How To Prepare Insects
Some international peoples in different countries enjoy eating insects prepared in different ways. They are considered a delicious street food and are often sen on Cable TV travel shows like Bizarre Foods. Insects as food are nalso a main dish in ay societies and they are called microlivestock.
I have eaten chocolate covered ants and grasshoppers and found them palatable, because they had no flavor, but added crunch to candy and frostings. In that line, I present you with these interesting recipes from around the world. The insects from foreign grocery stores, Chinese rice shops, and via the Internet.
Food Of the Future
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cook time: 5 min
- Ready in: 25 min
- Yields: Several servings of dip.
Chips Or Crackers And Dip With Candied Crickets
- 8 oz. cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. chopped onions
- 1 tsp. chopped green or red pepper
- 2 tsp Mayonnaise or yogurt
- Candied crickets
- Soften cream cheese by letting it reach room temperature and add all of the remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on crackers and top with a candied cricket on each.
Insect Cuisine, Thailand - Fine Dining and Street Carts
Chocolate Covered Grasshoppers
Crunchy chocolate fun.- You cannot taste anything but the chocolate!
- Baker's chocolate
- Candied crickets or dried grasshoppers
- Melt the baker's chocolate in a double boiler over medium high heat.
- Fill candy molds halfway up with some melted chocolate, add the crickets or grasshoppers, then fill the molds rest of the way up with chocolate.
- Let the molds set until hardened and remove the candy.
If you give insect foods to friends to eat, make sure they have no allergies to the insects involved!
- About 1000 young grasshoppers
- olive oil
- pinch of salt, 1 minced clove of garlic, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1 lemon
- 1 cup guacamole and 1/2 cup chili sauce for 6 tortillas
- Soak the grasshoppers in clean water for 24 hours.
- Boil them, drain, and let dry. Fry in a pan with garlic, onion, salt, and lemon. Roll up in tortillas with chili sauce and guacamole.
Banana Mealworm Bread
Tastes like crunch banana bread.
- 1/2 cup margarine, butter, or shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 mashed bananas
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup dry-roasted meal worms
- Cream butter or shortening in a mixing bowl with sugar and then with bananas.
- Mix in the rest of the dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Next add the eggs and the dried worms and stir together well.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour dough into a well-greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-minutes to 1 hour, until done. Remove from oven, cool, and serve.
Chocolate chips and extra crunch.
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 12-ounce package chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup dry-roasted crickets
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using a small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a larger bowl, combine butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla; beat all until creamy smooth.
- Beat in the eggs well.
- Gradually add flour mixture a little at a time and then the insects, and continue to mix well.
- Lastly, stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop cookie dough by the teaspoon onto a non-greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, remove from oven and cool on cooling racks. Makes about 3 dozen.
Biblical Insects to Eat
Leviticus 11: 20-24
"All flying insects that walk on all fours are to be detestable to you. There are, however, some winged creatures that walk on all fours that you may eat: those that have jointed legs for hopping on the ground. Of these you may eat any kind of locust, katydid, cricket or grasshopper. But all other winged creatures that have four legs you are to detest. You will make yourselves unclean by these; whoever touches their carcasses will be unclean till evening."
Insects such as grasshoppers and locusts can also be ground into flour and substituted in other recipes for added protein.
© 2008 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
This shows you how to serve leftover meat that does not taste leftover at all. Your family and friends will love it.
Hw many ways have you found to make chili? The following recipes will offer you a few more versions of this favorite American dish. For a more Mexican dish, use chunked rather than ground meats.
I have learned much from Polish American friends about the important of Easter in their culture, friendships, families, and faith. Please enjoy the resipes and information.