Introducing the Shrek Smoothie
Green Smoothies are a nutritional hit!
How many servings of fruits and vegetables should you consume in a day?
According the Food Pyramid, you should have at least 3 to 5 servings of vegetables and another 2 to 4 servings of fruit. Even on the low end, you should be munching down a minimum of 5 servings of fruits and vegetables every day. For a person who doesn’t like fruits and veggies, that can be a whole lot of torture to endure on a daily basis.
If you are one of those people who struggle making healthy choices, then the Shrek Smoothie might be a good option for you. This green smoothie recipe will pack in your fruit servings and even help get those yucky veggies in as well, which is great for those who struggle with a balanced diet.
Smoothie recipes are a healthy choice for those struggling to get in all their nutrition. With this easy smoothie recipe, you will have a healthy drink that tastes good too.
The base of this smoothie is a couple handfuls of spinach and a two bananas. This is great for the person on the go, whether looking for a quick breakfast or just an afternoon snack, this smoothie can be made with ease, making it easier to make healthy choices. With the amount of essential minerals in vitamins in both of these foods, it will improve your digestive health, your immune system, and is also great for weight loss.
Popeye had the right idea when he ate his spinach. Spinach is a great way to get your fiber. In fact, it offers twice as much fiber as any other green leafy vegetable out there. What does this mean - it will do a better job of making you feel full! This wonderful vegetable is also great for getting a daily dose of Vitamin C and Iron.
Loaded full of vitamins and minerals, spinach is a nutrition superstar! Not only has studies shown this vegetable is great for fighting heart disease and cancer, but it is also a good anti-inflammatory and does wonders for your skin. So, if you are trying to slow down the aging process, don’t shy away from the spinach. After adding spinach to your diet, you are sure to notice the difference in your hair, skin and nails!
Bananas are probably best known for being a source of potassium, but they have many other benefits as well. With an abundance of vitamin B6, they will not only give you energy, but they can improve your mood and help out your immune system.
Bananas are also high in fiber. Not only will this make you feel full, but it will also help your digestive track. Bananas can also maintain and improve the metabolism, an obvious perk if you are trying to lose weight. Bananas have many great benefits: they can improve muscle and nerve disorders, they can level out blood sugar levels, and they can also minimize the effects of nicotine withdrawals. (Just in case you are a smoker looking at quiting!)
Get your blender here!
Breaking out the Blender
This recipe is not only healthy, but sure to please. So grab your blender and lets get going!
- 2 bananas
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- ½ cup of frozen peaches
- Selection of fruit (your choice. Recommended is ½ cup of frozen mangos)
- Ice (if desired)
When I first made this, I used the frozen peaches, but forgot to pick up the frozen mangos. From this little mishap, I realized you can use whatever fruit you have on hand or you prefer. Since I didn’t have mangos, I substituted with pluots, plums, grapes, red raspberries and a variety of other fruit. Depending on your taste preferences, choose a fruit you like or that have on hand. My favorite combination was with the grapes. Frozen fruit will also make the drink ice cold and will stay preserved much longer than if you use nothing but fresh fruit. I recommend a variety.
- Grab your blender. Place in all ingredients. Add a little bit of water (about ½ cup, but use your best judegement) to the ingredients in the blender. Blend until smooth. Pour in glass. Add a straw. Enjoy.
Yes… it really is that simple. And the kids love it as well! So if you are looking for a way to get your children to eat their spinach, this will have them wanting more! And it really is that delicious. I can vouch for it because when it comes to eating healthy, it seems easier to just grab a chocolate chip cookie. This, on the other hand, is so easy even I don’t even mind eating my fruits and vegetables!
Featuring the Shrek Smoothie
If you think this recipe is great and you want to give it a try, this fellow hubber knows the benefits of this fantastic drink and featured it in this hub, The Betty Situation. Read it! I promise you will laugh until you cry!
Even the kids will love this smoothie...
Wanna earn extra Cash - Sign up for Hubpages Now
When asked if you want to make extra money, I am sure the answer is easily a yes? If you enjoy writing or taking pictures, you might have just found a gold mine. Here at Hubpages, you are provided with a platform to share your work, whether it is poetry, current events or sharing your latest cooking delights. The possibilities truly are endless, and you will also be supported by an outstanding community full of writers.
But you will never know until you sign-up. If you are looking for a way to earn a few extra dollars in your pocket, click here to sign up for Hubpages.
Get your green on with this Smoothie recipe!
Looking for another smoothie recipe that includes spinach? Check out this hub, Healthy Spinach Juice Smoothie Recipe by MissOlive!
Don't miss out on all the nutrition benefits from The Best Blueberry Hemp Smoothie by prairieprincess.If you are looking to lose weight, this smoothie recipe is a proven success.
For your sweet tooth
- Do you want a dessert with a twist. Don't forget to make this Peanut Butter Banana Pudding. It is sure to please kids and adults alike!
- Nothing ends a night better than a nice after dinner drink and some poetry. You can get both by visiting this hub with instructions on how to make a Chocolate Martini.
- Not an after dinner drink, but these Pudding Shots will be sure to get the party started!
- Looking for something sweet? These Peanut Butter Balls are melt in your mouth good!
- If you are a fan of pudding, this Mock Strawberry Banana Cream pie is the perfect treat for Summer!
- If your looking for the perfect recipe to bring to a potluck, Pistachio Eclair Dessert will have everyone talking!
- If you are looking to make a birthday cake, here is two recipes to choose from. One for the car lover with a creative racetrack theme and one for the artist with a fun artist palet!
- Are you looking to Change It Up... don't miss out on this Stuffed Bell Pepper recipe!
- Want to keep those around you happy? Peachy Chicken is sure to put a smile on everybody's face!
- When cupboards are bare, it is possible to still put Something in the Oven! This recipe proves you can!
- Making these Cheesy Potatoes could be dangerous! After all, company might never leave if you keep making this dish!
- Who says Meat Loaf is only for Sunday nights. This recipe is sure to please any night of the week!
- For those that struggle with eggs, here is the secret to the Perfect Hard-Boiled Egg.
- If you are looking for Restaurant quality dinner, these Blue Cheese and Cress Beef Wellingtons will have your mouth watering!
- Don't be so silly - Dogs in a Sweater are delicious!
More by this Author
Every year, it was a tradition for the women adults in our family to fill their glasses with this wonderful alcoholic slush. This recipe is easy to make and provides a great drink for any large gathering of people.
Pudding shots are a great adult recipe for any backyard BBQ. If you are looking for something different to bring, this recipe will be the talk of all your drinking buddies.
This recipe, Cheesy Potatoes is a definate crowd pleaser. If you are having company coming over, don't hesitate to put this on the menu. Your guests will be full of compliments.