Irish Champ, Poundies, Colly or Pandy - Perfect Traditional Mashed Potatoes with Green Onion
St. Patrick's Day perhaps couldn't be celebrated with any dish that is more beloved in Northern Ireland than Irish Champ (except perhaps Soda Bread!). Also known as Poundies, Colly and Pandy, it is an absolutely delicious dish that is simply and satisfying. Budget friendly, kids seem to love it, and adults certainly do.
Give this dish a try. You'll probably find that it ends up on your table far more than for the once a year holiday. Call it whatever you want, as long as you call it yummy.
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and whole
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 5 green onions, sliced, including green tops
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Cover with cold water, add a tsp of salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, but not falling apart. This should be about 15-20 minutes, depending on how thick the pieces are.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the milk, butter, cream and garlic to just below a simmer. Keep warm but do not boil, while the potatoes are simmering.
- Drain the potatoes, and return them to the dry pot. Remove the garlic cloves from the milk/cream mixture. Add about half of the milk, cream mixture, and mash well with a potato masher or wooden spoon. As the milk and cream is incorporated, add more and continue mashing, until all of the milk, cream and butter is thoroughly mixed in.
- Stir in the green onions, remaining salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Serve immediately, or cover and keep in a slow oven for about an hour.
Visit the Websites!
More by this Author
I’ve heard it said that on St. Patrick’s Day, everyone is Irish. It does seem to be a holiday that almost everyone loves to adopt – regardless of their ethnic backgrounds. Most Americans whip out a...
As St. Patrick's Day rolls around every year, many Americans break out the recipes for corned beef and cabbage. This actually is an American dish (although a delicious one). In Ireland, if there is a national dish, it...
This is how Southerners make perfect, moist, crunchy, tasty fried chicken.
No comments yet.