Irish Cream Cake
Irish Cream Cake is just delightful - it's a beautifully moist cake dressed with luscious Irish Cream liqueur. You can feel free to use the name brand stuff - or make your own if you want to really customize and tweak the flavors.
Fill this cake with butterscotch filling, and then lavish it with cream cheese frosting, and you'll realize quickly why this cake is such a hit. You can save it for special occasions, or once a year for St. Patrick's Day, but you won't want to once you taste it!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Irish Cream (Bailey's)
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted, to garnish
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted, to garnish
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- Butterscotch Filling
- Butter and flour three nine inch cake pans. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350°.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and shortening together until fluffy. Add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each and scraping down the sides of the bowl. Stir in vanilla.
- Combine flour, soda and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with butterilk, beginning and ending with flour and mixing well at each addition.
- Beat egg whites to a stiff peak. Carefully fold egg whites into batter. Divide batter equally among prepared cake pans.
- Bake cakes at 350F for 25-30 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean. Cool cakes in their pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Brush tops of each cake with Irish Cream. Fill cakes with Butterscotch Filling, and frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. Decorate sides of cake with pecan halves, and top with chopped pecans.
339.3 Calories, 18.4g Total Fat, 6.5g Saturated Fat, 48.0% Calories from Fat, 82.7g Cholesterol, 245.9mg Sodium, 162.9 Calories from Fat, 39.4g Carbohydrate, 0.93g Dietary Fiber, 4.7g Protein
You May Also Like:
- Irish Recipes
A fabulous collection of Irish Recipes and their Irish American cousins. From Barmbrack and Colcannon to Irish Soda Bread, it's all here and it's all delicious!
- Layer Cakes
Layer Cakes! The very best recipes for layer cakes anywhere. Beautifully homemade, simple and delicious layer cakes. If you are looking for a recipe for layer cake - start here. If you have a layer cake recipe, share it!
- The Thrillbilly Gourmet
Combining classic technique with everyday food for spectacular results!
More by this Author
This recipe will satisfy even the most die-hard chocolate lover in your house. Show your favorite chocoholic you can bring the goods. Rich, moist, intense chocolate flavor make this a true winner!
A classic from your childhood, or a favorite of today. Yellow cake with chocolate frosting made from scratch.
This is how Southerners make perfect, moist, crunchy, tasty fried chicken.