Trail Mix Chocolate Cake in a Jar
The Perfect Gift
The day of Mother's Day I still had no gift for my mom. I had no idea what to get her but I didn't want to end up like the last three years (my mom started a collection of body lotions I gave her, which she doesn't use).
I kneaded to find a gift before I saw her today and that's when the idea of a chocolate cake came to me. Except I didn't have enough time to prepare it and cook it, so I decided to skip the cooking part and try something more creative that would be perfect as a last minute (very last minute) gift and still be pretty.
I scouted for a good sized jar and decided to put in it all the ingredients needed to make a tasty chocolate cake (with trail mix because my mother loves it!) and turn it into an edible gift. Of course this recipe could be made without the "decorative and edible gift" part, but if the occasion ever presents itself, you have muffin to lose by trying!
Rate the Trail mix Chocolate Cake
Trail mix Chocolate Cake Cook Time
Trail mix Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Trail-mix, add as much or as little as you like. You can also substitute things like chocolate chips, raisins..
- Jar or decorative container
- 1/2 cup milk or water, do not add this to the jar, it will be added later.
Instructions for preparing the Trail mix Chocolate Cake
- Lay out all your ingredients. It may be helpful to measure out how many ingredients your jar can hold by filling it with water and then measuring it using a liquid measuring cup as you pour it out. This will give you a guideline on whether or not you need a larger or smaller container.
- Start slowly pouring in the ingredients according to how fine the powders are. The finer and lighter the ingredient, the closer to the bottom it should go. This will ensure that the ingredients don't "bleed" through each other and that the container will have a polished appearance. In this case, the order should be: Flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt, sugar, trail-mix.
- Cap the container or jar. Seal it tightly if you aren't going to gift it right away. The ingredients can be stored for weeks as long as they are kept airtight in a cool and dry place.
- Create a decorative instruction card. Since you can't add liquids to this mix, they will have to be added later after the mix is stirred. On the card include the cook time and the rest of the wet ingredients needed. In this case the cook time is 40 minutes at 300°F. and the wet ingredients are 1/2 cup of milk OR water.
- Decorate the rest of the jar as you see fit. Ribbons are an easy and fun way to go.
Decorating the Container
You can make a handmade card (if you are really in a rush such as in my case) or you can create one on the computer and put it on the container. If you are making this recipe, feel free to click on the card and ribbon image to the right and print the full-size image to use.
If you are gifting a card along with the cake you can write the instructions in there if you prefer to leave the jar or container without decorations.
Trail mix Chocolate Cake Nutrition Facts
|Serving size: 2 oz|
|Calories from Fat||90|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 10 g||15%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Unsaturated fat 7 g|
|Carbohydrates 31 g||10%|
|Sugar 115 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More Ideas for Jar Recipes
Need Some Other Fun Ideas?
- Frugal Handmade Gift Ideas: Gifts In a Jar
Need ideas for the perfect yet inexpensive, homemade gift? How about a gift in a jar! A gift in a jar is a jar containing all the ingredients for a type of food for quick and easy preparation by the recipient. Whether you are the creative type or...
More by this Author
A simple green smoothie recipe. A healthy citrus green smoothie that does not taste like kale and is packed with healthy nutrients. Follow this recipe to create your own green smoothie.
A delicious copy-cat recipe that mimics Taco Bell's Caramel Apple Empanada deserts. The only difference is these empanadas are much healthier!
Here's a great example of a proposal essay with simple and easy step-by-step instructions on how to write an effective paper. Getting an A on a proposal paper is simple if you follow some simple steps