Justin's Artichoke Scramble
This is a quick little omelet or scramble. It's fairly gourmet and very hearty. The Prep is fairly easy and the cooking difficulty depends on your skill with a pan. I struggle with omelets, so I tend to treat this dish as a hybrid.
It is very full of flavor, but not as rich as you might think, even with the artichokes. I recommend no oil or butter, but if you don't have access to non stick, use unsalted butter or olive oil.
- 1 Banana Pepper, sliced
- 3-4 artichoke hearts, diced
- 1/4 hot house tomato, sliced or diced
- 1/4 yellow onion, sliced or diced
- 3 cage free eggs
- 1/5 jalapeno, chopped
- 2 slices thinly cut ham, diced
- rooster sauce
- 1 stem of cilantro, whole
- 1/3- 1/2 cup colby cheese, grated
- black pepper
- heat non stick pan on medium high heat
- prepare banana peppers, jalapeno, artichoke hearts, tomato, onion and ham.
- Toss these in pan, spreading them out as evenly as possible. Add pepper to taste (I usually do three turns on the pepper shaker). Toss in stem of cilantro. Cook 3-5 minutes, or until onions are slightly soft.
- While items are cooking, in separate bowl, combine three eggs and half of the cheese. Add a turn and a half of rooster sauce. Whisk until completely mixed.
- Remove cilantro from pan and pour egg mix over veggies.
- Cook 2-4 minutes, add rest of cheese and then flip or chop eggs.
- cook 1-2 minutes.
- Serve. With toast and/or potatoes to make the meal even hardier.
Thanks for Reading.
A FREELANCE WRITER, HONORS STUDENT AND GOVER PRIZE FINALIST, JUSTIN W. PRICE (AKA, PDXKARAOKEGUY) CONSIDERS HIMSELF A POET FIRST AND FOREMOST BUT IS ALSO A SHORT STORY, BIOGRAPHER AND HUMOR WRITER. HIS POETRY COLLECTION,DIGGING TO CHINA, WILL BE RELEASED FEBRUARY 2ND, 2013 BY SWEATSHOPPE PUBLICATIONS AND IS CURRENTLY AVAILABLE ON AMAZON AS WELL AS YOUR LOCAL BOOKSELLER.
HIS WORK WILL ALSO BE FEATURED IN BEST NEW FICTION (2014 EDITION), AND HAS APPEARED PREVIOUSLY IN THE RUSTY NAIL, EFICTION, EFICTION HUMOR, THE CRISIS CHRONICLES, THE HELLROARING REVIEW AND THE BELLWETHER REVIEW. HE CURRENTLY SERVES AS MANAGING EDITOR OF EHORROR MAGAZINE AND THE BRIDGEONLINE NEWSPAPER. HE PREVIOUSLY SERVED AS THE POETRY AND CORRESPONDENCE EDITOR FOR THE BELLWETHER REVIEW.
HE WORKS AS A FREELANCE WRITER, EDITOR, AND GHOST WRITER, AND IS WORKING TOWARDS HIS PH.D. HE LIVES IN A SUBURB OF PORTLAND, OREGON WITH HIS WIFE, ANDREA, AND THEIR LABRADOODLE, BELLA.
PLEASE VISIT HIS PROFILE PAGE FOR MORE INFORMATION. THANKS!
More by this Author
an analysis of the dying all ages music scene in Portland with some proposed theories.
a short biography of musician Freddie Mercury, vocalist of Queen, including his childhood, rise to fame, and early death.
A look at and analysis of Jamaica Kincaid's short story, "Girl"