Kidney Bean & Beef Chili Recipe
Please Vote In Our Poll.
Do You Use Kidney Beans In Your Cooking On A Regular BasisSee results without voting
More Kidney Bean Information
Kidney Beans are also called Red Beans. Even today in New Orleans kidney beans are used to make Red Beans And Rice which is a important and delicious dish still served every Monday in New Orleans.
If you'll check out that link for red beans and rice you'll find that I have the recipe for the best red beans and rice that you'll ever eat in your life.
In case you don't know kidney beans are really healthy for you because they contain cholesterol-lowering fiber as do most beans. The fiber in kidney beans also helps to prevent the blood sugar levels in your body from raising to fast. When you add rice to the beans you have the perfect high protein food.
You should also know that by eating kidney beans you are also protecting your heart. The more fiber you eat the better off you will be. Yes eating kidney beans can prevent heart disease.
Kidney beans contain high levels of magnesium and folate. And more important kidney beans give you energy to burn while stabilizing your blood sugar. Kidney beans are high in iron and this helps to replenish your bodies energy needs.
Kidney beans also contain thiamen which is vitamin B1 and it helps to improve your memory. If you're wondering how to stop eating red meat and still get your bodies needed protein then red beans are the perfect choice for you.
Kidney Bean And Beef Chili Recipe
Lets see how many ways are there to cook chili? Well to be truthful with you I really don't have the answer to that question. Chili is really a work in progress and you can make your chili any way you like it. Flavor is oh so important and flavor is what I go after when I cook. If you have the flavor then you can work on everything else. I had a chili recently that was made of kidney beans, small pieces of boneless short ribs, and it was served over yellow rice in bowls topped with guacamole and sour cream. And it was truly one of the best tasting chili's I have ever had. You can create this wonderful tasting chili in the crock pot by following the below recipe. This chili works great in the crock pot.
Ingredients Needed For Your Kidney Bean And Beef Chili
1. One Pound Of Lean Top Round Beefcut into small cubes.
2. One Tablespoon Olive Oil.
3. One Half Cup Sweet Onion chopped very fine.
4. One Tablespoon Minced Fresh Garlic.
5. Two Tablespoons Chili Powder.
6. One Tablespoon Ground Cumin.
7. One Large Can Crushed Tomatoes.
8. One Cup Chicken Broth.
9. One Teaspoon Ground Sea Salt.
10. One Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper.
11. One 15 Ounce Can Kidney Beans Washed And Drained Well.
12. Sour Cream, Sliced Jalapenos, and Shredded Cheese For Garnish.
You want to start out by using your food processor to coarsely grind your beef. You want it to be in pieces not ground beef. Hope that gives you an ideal of what you need. When you have your beef coarsely ground add it and your sweet onion to a large skillet and cook until the beef is browned all over and the onions are thoroughly cooked. Its important that you find sweet onions to go in your chili. Sweet purple onions are what I always try to find and use. You can use beef cube steak and after first cutting it up into small cubes grind it up in your food processor.
Be sure to wash your kidney beans under cold running water and be sure to wash them well enough to get rid of all the liquid that was in the can. This really improves the flavor of your beans and the chili you put them into.
Now to a Crock Pot add all the ingredients 1 - 11 and turn your crock pot on low for 6 - 8 hours. When the chili is thickened stir it up well and then turn up to high and cook about 2 more hours.
At this point you will have a rich delicious chili and you want to get your garnishes ready. Serve your chili in bowls and allow each guest to add any or all of the garnishes to each bowl of chili.
This chili will be excellent served with regular corn bread or Mexican corn bread.
You can also make this chili with boneless beef short ribs and it will have an oh so wonderful flavor. If you want some really delicious flavor try adding some beef short ribs with bones and cook your chili until the meat is cooked loose from the bones. Just be sure to dip out all the bones before you finish and serve your chili.
Most people agree that chili was first cooked in the area of San Antonio Texas around 1700. And when chili was first cooked in Texas it was cooked with out beans. I like chili both ways but some people think chili should have beans while other people say that chili should never have beans.
Some More Chili Tips And Hints
1. Make sure to brown your meat and onions well when making your chili dishes. Its very important that any meat added to a crock pot be well browned before you add it to a crock pot.
2. If you are making a chili recipe with jalapenos be sure to know and understand that you need to use care when working with jalapenos and other peppers. If your cutting up peppers you can easily get the juice onto your hands and into your eyes. So keep that in mind. It's a real help for me to wear a pair of disposable gloves while I'm working with peppers. If you remove the seeds and membranes you will have less fire. If you leave them in you will have more fire.
3. To me Mexican Chili Pepper ( Fine Ground ) is my favorite to use in my chili recipes but different people like various types of chili in their chili. If your new to making chili try out various types and see which one you like best.
4. Minced fine ground fresh garlic will give your chili the best flavor but you will need to adjust the amount of garlic you add for your own taste.
5. Have you ever had chili taco's. If you make them with chili with no beans that you have cooked down thick, lettuce, tomato, diced onions, guacamole and sour cream I think you will find they are oh so delicious. And you can experiment with various fillings for your chili tacos.
6. Any time you work with canned beans like the kidney beans in this recipe be sure to wash the beans off well before you use them and I think you will find yourself rewarded with a much better flavor at the end when you make your chili.
7. Ground Sea Salt works very well in almost all chili dishes and its much better for you. Ground Sea Salt is highly nutritious and it cooks up well also.
What do you think about chili? How should it be made and what should it be served with. Why not tell us all about it in the comments section below. Also if you make the recipe above please post a comment and let us all know how it turned out for you. And thanks for reading my Hub Page on Kidney Bean and Beef Chili.
More by this Author
Here you can read and find out everything you could ever want to know about Gumbo and how to make it. Roux is the secret to making a wonderful Gumbo and we teach you how to make it.
Here is truly the recipe for the best Oyster Stew you will ever eat in your life. Yes it really is that good. You just have to try this wonderful recipe.
If you want to know exactly how to grow a vegetable garden here is all the information you will ever need.