Kids Cook Monday: Fruit & Yogurt Smoothie
Picky Eaters Still Need Nutrition!
My second from the youngest child is my pickiest eater. He claims only to like bananas, carrots and apples out of all available fresh produce. What's a mom to do? Get creative! I know he still needs nutrition from the many other fruits and vegetables out there -- I hide them in smoothies.
My kids enjoy my smoothies so much, that my older two have learned to make them. And, they don't mind adding the "healthy" superfoods.
Cook Time - None!
- 1 medium Organic Carrot
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 to a whole avocado
- 1/2 cup peeled & chopped cucumber
- 1-2 very ripe banana
- 2 cups frozen strawberries
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2-3 cups vanilla yogurt
- up to 1/2 cup milk (dairy or almond)
- optional cinnamon
- Chop carrot and put in grinder. Pour a splash of milk into it - this aids effective liquifying. Liquify.
- Add each ingredient individually, adding a splash of milk as needed to aid liquification.
- Serve! Depending on how much you blend/liquify, you may eat/drink this with a spoon/straw.
- Enjoy watching your kids devour - and ask for more - of a truly delicious and nutritious snack or dessert.
Discuss natural sugars found in berries and fruit: fructose. In its natural state, fruits provide a lot of energy and nutrition. Not all sugar is "bad". Compare nutrition labels on cereal, dried fruit, yogurt, milk, etc. and discuss the sugar servings. Teach your children about "empty" calories versus nutrition-filled calories. Ask them why a fruit smoothie is a better option than a milkshake, even though both taste sweet.
More by this Author
A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the arms to rest, and your poverty will come like a robber, your need, like a bandit. -- Proverb 6:10-11 The Lord promises to prosper all to which those who honor...
OK, OK... so I chose a relatively volatile subject - healing. Forgive me, and continue reading. I am fairly confident reading this hub will be worth the investment of your time. Our bodies are designed to...
I love to eat. I love to use every taste bud on my tongue. I also enjoy eating healthy foods. In an endeavor to cook life-giving foods for myself and my family, I have perfected this recipe over the past few years for...
No comments yet.