Kids Cook Monday: Tuna and Spinach Bake
Tuna and Spinach Bake is an Easy, Yet Impressive Family Dinner
For busy families, it helps to have several go-to recipes that are tasty, inexpensive and easy to make.
While running with one of my good friends last month, we were sharing simple dishes that you can have on the table within a half hour. My friend told me about this Tuna and Spinach Bake, and I was thrilled to find that I already had all the ingredients at home.
No need to head to the store!
My kids love to help make this recipe, and it disappears pretty quickly after I take it out of the oven. What's even better is that tuna and spinach are both healthy ingredients and a nice change from ground beef or pasta on a weeknight.
As my friend observed, Tuna and Spinach bake is impressive, even though its very easy. You can serve it with white rice and salad for a meal, or slice it into smaller pieces for a party appetizer. Either way, people may think that you have spent a lot more preparation time than it actually takes!
This dish is hearty and filling, but relatively low-fat and healthy. If you prefer to make your own dough, rather than use refrigerated crescent rolls, try 100% whole wheat flour to make this recipe even healthier.
Give this Tuna and Spinach Bake a Star
Cook Time for Tuna and Spinach Bake
Ingredients for Tuna and Spinach Bake
- 1 can refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 can (6 oz.) tuna (packed in water), drained
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmasen cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 oz Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped (if desired)
Instructions for Making Tuna and Spinach Bake
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine tuna, spinach, egg, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic, pepper and roasted red pepper (if desired)
- Lightly apply cooking spray on a baking sheet. Open crescent roll package and unroll onto the pan and press lightly to close perforation marks
- Spread the tuna/spinach filling down the center of the dough, about 3 inches wide. Sprinkle filling with grated Mozzarella cheese
- Carefully fold the edges of the dough in toward the middle, covering most, if not all, of the filling
- In a small bowl, whisk egg together with water. Use a pastry brush and apply on the top of the dough
- Place into oven and bake at 375 for 20 minutes, or until dough is browned. Serve warm.
How to Squeeze Water out of Frozen Chopped Spinach
Tips for Making Tuna and Spinach Bake
- Use water-packed , rather than tuna packed in oil tuna
- Use chunk light tuna - slightly more expensive, but better tasting
- Consider low-fat cheese options
- Try adding fresh or dried herbs (oregano, thyme, parsley)
- Instead of a whole egg, use egg white
- If you prefer not to use crescent roll dough, make your own dinner roll bread recipe and roll out into a 1/4 inch thick roll, into an approx. 14x10 inch rectangle
Another Frozen Chopped Spinach Appetizer Recipe
Serving Suggestions and Alternative Ingredients
Tuna and spinach bake is great with steamed white or brown rice. Add a side salad and you have a delicious family meal.
Leftovers can be refrigerated and enjoyed within a few days. Simply reheat in the microwave or warm slowly in the oven at 250 degrees for 15 minutes. Try serving with a cup of your favorite soup for a hearty lunch.
You can also swap out the spinach with cooked rice in the filling for a different taste and texture.
Experiment with other additions for the filling, including chopped black olives, diced sweet onion, and fresh herbs of your choice (we like thyme).
Do you cook with frozen chopped spinach?See results without voting
More by this Author
Learn how to make your own kombucha tea with these recipes and directions. Then transform it into kombucha vinegar to use in marinades, sauces or salad dressings. Healthful and delicious!
Lose weight and manage your cholesterol by eating proper, healthy portion sizes of food.
The 25 best romantic movies are films about love, loss, and forgiveness. Watch one with your sweetheart or best friend.