Kinds of Soups
Soups, because of their almost endless variety in content and nutritive value, can be fitted into luncheon or dinner menus to serve different purposes such as:
1. To stimulate appetite for the rest of the meal.
2. To give nourishment to persons unable for any reason, to take solid foods.
3. To be the mainstay of the meal.
4. To supply large amounts of proteins, carbohydrates, minerals and vitamins.
Most soups are made from stock. Stock is the liquid left from cooking meat, poultry or vegetables.
SOUP IS CLASSIFIED AS FOLLOWS:
1. Consomme — a well-seasoned stock, which is the liquid left from cooking meat such as veal, poultry or a combination of both.
2. Bouillon — is seasoned beef stock, free of fat and clarified.
3. Vegetable Soup — vegetable stock contains valuable vitamins and minerals but because of its blandness, is added to meat stock, gravies or cream soup rather than used alone.
4. Cream Soup — is made from thin or medium white sauce to which is added puree made from one or more vegetables. Among the vegetables most commonly used for cream soup are corn, peas, asparagus, tomatoes, celery, mushrooms, onions and white potatoes.
5. Bisques — are usually made by combining thin white sauce with chopped sea food and often with some of the liquid in which the sea food has been cooked.
6. Chowders — are another variation of cream soup. They always contain diced or chopped vegetables or sea foods. Bits of browned salted pork and diced white potatoes are ingredients of a true chowder.
More by this Author
Guidelines in Buying Fresh Foods The main consideration in choosing any food is quality. Here are some guidelines for judging the freshness and wholesomeness of foods to enable you to get the most nutrition...
Sandwiches A sandwich is made up of one or more slices of bread with nutritious filling between them. Any kind of bread,cream or loaf bread, rolls and buns will make a good sandwich. The filling may be slices of cold...
Biology is the study of living organisms and there are many subfields of study under that umbrella. From anatomy to zoology, there are more than 30 different areas of study under biology.