How to Make Kiymali Borek - A Recipe for Turkish Phyllo Pastry With Minced Meat Filling
A taste of Turkish pastry.
Börek is a well-loved phyllo pastry in the Turkish cuisine that has over fifty different varieties. It is usually eaten hot during breakfast or as an afternoon tea time snack.
One of the many popular varieties of Turkish phyllo pastries is kıymalı börek. This type of börek is usually made with some slightly spicy minced meat filling and wrapped in several stretched-out layers of paper-thin dough sheets. These special types of traditional fresh dough sheets called yufka in Turkish (phyllo in Greek) are then rolled out to get baked in the oven. Once thoroughly and nicely baked, these kıymalı börek pastries can give a very slight crunching sound after each bite and can make a very appetizing breakfast or snack.
Usually served hot and freshly baked straight from the oven along with hot Turkish coffee or tea, kıymali borek has become one of the favorite breakfast food items among the Turks and foreigners alike. Check out the easy recipe below to make yourself some kıymalı börek for your early morning breakfast or afternoon snacks.
- 6 pcs yufka (phyllo dough sheets)
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup yogurt or milk
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup olive or any vegetable oil
- 200 grams ground beef (kıyma in Turkish)
- 2 medium size onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
For the filling:
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large stainless steel or non-stick frying pan.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and ground beef and while stirring constantly and cook until beef turns turns brown.
- Add the parsley, salt, black pepper and paprika and sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
For the borek:
- In a mixing bowl, add yogurt, vegetable oil and egg. Mix well until all ingredients are blended together.
- Brush the bottom and sides of your baking tray (I’m using 13x17" inches Pyrex or Borcam for this) with butter or vegetable oil to prevent the phyllo sheets from sticking to the bottom of the tray.
- Divide phyllo sheets into two equal parts. The first part will be used for layering below the filling and the second part will be used for layering on top of the filling.
- Using the first part of your phyllo, lay one sheet at a time while brushing the surface with the liquid mixture carefully enough not to overdo it or the sheets will tear. Repeat the same procedure until you finish layering the first half of your the phyllo sheets.
- On the last sheet of the first batch of phyllo, spread carefullly the spicy meat filling all over on top covering the entire surface.
- After all the filling has been spread out, continue adding phyllo sheets and brushing with every top with liquid mixture (just as how you do with the first part) until you finish using all the phyllo.
- On the last sheet covering the entire dish, pour the left over mixture all over on top and carefully spread it out evenly with a brush. Bake börek in the oven at 350º F for about 40 minutes or until nicely brown.
- After baking, remove the dish from the oven to prevent it from getting soggy and let it rest for a few minutes at room temperature before cutting it into small squares.
Serve hot with green salad and a cup of Turkish tea or coffee.
Afiyet olsun! (Have a good appetite!)
More Healhy Breakfast Recipes:
- Menemen, Turkish Style Scrambled Eggs
"Menemen" (Photo by Loren Akten. All Rights Reserved) Make yourself some Turkish-style scrambled eggs for breakfast. I always love to wake up early in the morning knowing that a certain light...
- Peynirli Pogaca - A Turkish Puff Pastry Filled With Cheese
Poaca, one of the many puff pastries I love to eat for breakfast or as a tea-time snack is a type of dough-based salty puff pastry which has so many diffrerent varieties in terms of filling. Peynirli...
- Easy Breakfast Recipe - How to Make a Cheese Mushroom Omelet / Omelette
If you have eggs, you have breakfast. Do you agree? Perhaps you do but wait! Why not turn your eggs into a savory breakfast? Instead of just having the simple hard boiled eggs every morning, why not...
- Easy Breakfast Recipe: How to Make Homemade Bread
How does it feel to wake up in the morning with the smell of some freshly baked bread lingering inside your home? Great! Isn't it? Theres just something with it that makes you quickly jump out...
- Easy & Healthy Recipe: How to Make Homemade Thin-Crust Pizza
"Healthy Thin-Crust Pizza"Who doesn't love pizza? I guess everyone loves pizza... and I love pizza, too! It's just probably the most convenient and healthy fast food that can easily satisfy a persons...
- Easy & Healthy Basic Green Tossed Salad Recipe
Lettuce and other green leafy vegetables are an important part of a healthy diet. Lettuce, the main ingredient of any tossed salad and all the other leafy green vegetables not only contain vitamin A, C,...
- Easy & Healthy Patience Dock Salad Recipe
Patience dock, a garden herb known as Rumex patientia is a European dock of the buckwheat family whose leaves are most commonly used as a vegetable and makes a very healthy vegetarian salad. This coarse...
Comments 5 comments
Why not grind your meat at home?
More by this Author
Poğaca, one of the many puff pastries I love to eat for breakfast or as a tea-time snack is a type of dough-based salty puff pastry which has so many diffrerent varieties in terms of filling. Peynirli poğaca, which...
Start your day with an appetizing breakfast. Another popular egg dish commonly served for breakfast in Turkey is sucuklu yumurta , a delicious Turkish-style fried eggs topped with a dry and spicy beef sausage...
- 24How to Make Asure / Ashure (Noah’s Ark Pudding) - A Dessert Recipe with Facts & Significance to the Turkish Culture
Turkish Asure topped with crushed walnuts, currants, lemon & fresh pomegranate. Erin (firstname.lastname@example.org) Sharing this traditional Turkish dessert called aşure/ashure or Noah's Ark pudding to anyone...