Konro Soup From Makassar Indonesia
If you love spicy food, you should try a traditonal dish from Makassar, South Celebes, Indonesia. Sup Konro or Konro Soup.
Makassar is the largest city in South Celebes or South Sulawesi, Indonesia. Sometime it's spelled Macassar or Mangkasar and now we call it Ujung Pandang. Those are all the same city. Makassar's local dishes are rich with herbs and spices. Makassar has many herb and spice products.
Here is our Konro Soup recipe, Konro is beef ribs in Makassar's language :
1 kg of beef ribs or you may use short beef ribs, cut into pieces
4 ltr water
2 cm cinnamon stick
3 pcs galangal, mashed
2 bay leaves
3 tbs cooking oil
1/2 tbs salt
5 pcs onions, sliced thin
2 tbs tamarind juice
Grind and make paste :
5 pcs onions
3 cloves garlic
1 ts pepper (some people in Makassar add roasted peppercorn)
1/2 ts nutmeg
2-3 kluwak nuts, peel, soak in hot water. (It is more simple if you just use the peeled kluwak nuts)
1. Boil or cook in pressure cooker: ribs, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, galangal, salt, and tamarind juice.
2. Saute the onions and ground ingredients with cooking oil, or you may change it with corn oil, until fragrant.
3. Pour the spice into the ribs pot and cook until the beefs are brown and tender.
4. Serve hot with some lime wedges and sambal or chili paste.
Another way to cook the Soup :
1. Saute the onions and ground ingredients until fragrant, add beef ribs with all the herbs (cinnamon, cloves, bay leaves, galangal, salt, and tamarind juice), stir and cook until light browned. Add 2 liter of water, and cook it until the ribs are tender.
You may add some water again if need it.
2. Add salt and sugar as desired, simmer over low heat about 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Serve hot with some lime wedges and chili paste.
4. Some recipe also add some shallots too, but it's all up to your personal preferences.
This Konro Soup is used to serve with warm rice but you may enjoy it with steamed mantau too.
To make tamarind juice :
Take 1 tsp seedless tamarind in a small bowl and add some water, press it with spoon. It's ready to use.
Kluwak Nuts :
It has a similarity with Brazil Nuts. You may use the meat inside. Meaty seeds are edible after the poisonous hydrocyanic acid is removed by soaking them in warm water.
To prepare the Kluwak Nuts, you have to crush them with a hammer or knife holder. I just use my traditional grinder from stone. Choose the black color meat, it's the best one. Don't use it if the color is white.
You have to taste it first, if it tastes bitter, I think you should not use it. Now, you may find peeled kluwak nuts in the market, I think you may use that one.
Why you have to use kluwak nuts, well actually, kluwak nut is not the only spice in some of my traditional dishes, only a part of it, Kluwak gives special taste and aroma to some of my dishes, like Rawon from East Java and Some dishes from Sulawesi or Celebes.
Buy Asia Recipe Books Online
- Sweet and Sour Red Snapper
the red snapper I love fish, any kind of fish and the red snapper is always my favorite. I used to enjoy red snapper head as red snapper spicy soup. But this time there is a more simple and easy red snapper...
- Snacks from Sweet Potatoes
There are plenty of sweet potatoes products in my country and the price are also quite cheap. But actually, sweet potatoes also have many health benefits specially for anti aging and rich in...
More by this Author
I don't know about you, but in my country there is one Korean Historical drama that really attract many attention lately. That's The Great Queen Seon Deok (Seon Deok Yeo Wang). My national TV that had the broadcast...
Living in a tropical country makes me more prefer wearing sandals. It's more comfortable, light, and cool. I used to wear stylish sandals for outdoor activities and rubber sandals when I'm home. Most tropical people...
Also known as Jeppangwang Kim Tak Goo. Genre : Romance, Family Episode : 30 Broadcast Network : KBS2, From June 2009 to October 2010 Director : Han Joon Seo Scriptwriter : Kang Eun Kyung Main Cast Yoon Shi Yoon as Kim...